~ 21 ~

I woke up to someone tapping my forehead. I opened my eyes to see my mom. I hugged her close. I was right though. She reeked of alcohol. I looked past her to see Susannah and Laurel.

"Thank you," I said.

They both gave me an awkward smile and then left. They seemed like they had something to say... But they just didn't. I lugged mom upstairs and into bed. I watched as she slept for a moment. If they hadn't found her who knows what could've happened. I didn't want her to leave like that again. I laid down next to her, falling asleep. I woke up that next morning to an empty bed. I worriedly rushed downstairs only to find mom sipping coffee by the window. She looked over to me with concern.

"I'm sorry I scared you," she sighed.

I sat down beside her, "It was a hard night for us."

We sat there quietly, and I looked around. Breakfast wasn't made yet, so I got up and started fixing something for us. As I cooked I noticed dad's urn sitting on the counter.

"So you did come home last night before you disappeared?" I asked.

"Hm?" she questioned.

"Dad's urn. It wasn't here," I noted.

Mom stayed quiet... What happened?

"Mom?" I called.

She looked over at me with tears in her eyes, "I'm sorry."

"Mom? What do you mean?"

"I released your father's ashes," she confessed.

He... what... I quickly grabbed the urn and looked inside of it.  It was empty... maybe a few bits of ashes... but otherwise empty...

"I'm so sorry sweetheart," mom said, coming closer to me. 

I stepped back, not wanting her to comfort me right now. This couldn't be happening.

"Can you just stay here? Or go to the Fisher's? I just... I'm gonna go hang out at the beach," I said, stepping away. 

I rushed out, grabbing dad's urn. I held it close to me. I sat myself down in the sand, clutching onto the last bits of my father. He was really gone. This urn no longer held him... I needed him. I needed to be able to come home to him after a long day. My tears flowed out of my eyes like a river. 

"Y/n!" 

"Y/n I'm here!" 

I looked back to see Jeremiah. I stood up and he held his arms open for me as he ran. He hugged on to me and I cried into his shoulder.

"He's gone Jere," I cried, "He's gone and I'm crying to you... I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I didn't tell you about Susannah. I swear no one told me! It was just a hunch... I-"

Jeremiah pulled back from the hug, placed a hand on my jaw, and kissed me. He made me feel like I wasn't the only one. He was there. No matter what. He pulled back and looked me in the eye, with his mesmerizing eyes. 

"You don't need to worry about that. That problem is solved for right now. Right now, I'm here for you," he explained.

I took a deep breath before hugging him close. Life was a wild ride, but part of me was calmed by the fact that he was here right now. I looked out to be reminded that I was out at the sunny beach in the middle of the day. It was bright and a little windy. The ocean looked so cheerful in comparison to my sadness. I looked back up at Jere. He was like my beach. He was light-hearted and airy, even when things were rough. He smiled at me as we sat in silence. He knew I needed him in this moment... But I couldn't help but think that though this was a perfect little bubble, my real life existed. Our real lives existed. Susannah had cancer once again... My dad was long dead, and now, not even his ashes remained. We needed to be with Susannah. I didn't prioritize family like I should have. I ran from it. I couldn't let Jere do the same. He needed as many good moments with his mom as possible.

"Let's go back to the house," I suggested.

"Are you sure? We can stay here if you need," he offered.

I nodded, "I should probably eat some breakfast, and I like being at the Fisher house."

He chuckled at my words, taking my hand. He guided me back to the house and sat me down at the counter.

"What would you like for breakfast?" He asked with a familiar smile.

"Chef's specialty," I joked.

"Eggs it is," he smiled and started cooking.

I looked into the living room to see there were all of the paintings Susannah had done. I got up and inspected all of them. She really was talented. I stood in front of mine... I looked so beautiful.

"You look stunning," Susannah said as she stood beside me.

"Your work is incredible," I replied.

"Y/n, you are beautiful. I can't make a good piece out of nothing," she explained.

I sighed and hugged onto her, "Thank you Susannah."

"I'm sorry about what happened," she said, stroking my hair.

She had known about it last night... That was why she and Laurel had those looks on their faces. I pulled back from the hug and looked up at her.

"I'll be okay," I reassured her, not knowing if I was telling the truth or not.

"She's right about the beautiful thing," Jere said as he entered, breakfast in hand. "Sooo... Maybe we should keep it so, you know, I can look at it."

Susannah and I laughed as we sat down for some breakfast.