Distant

You'd think that following the trip, Tomioka and I would be a little closer.

Or perhaps he genuinely meant and got what he said. Getting me out of his system.

We were on our way to Takayama village presently. Fortunately, no one was seriously harmed as a result of our fight.

Tomioka had his normal grim expression, and Sanemi appeared to be silent as well. So, why am I the only one that wants to talk? I chewed the inside of my cheek, thinking to myself.

"So," Sanemi exhaled, breaking the uneasy tension in the room. Maybe he feels the same way I do.

My gaze was drawn to Sanemi.

"Tsugikini, Tsukumo, whatever you want to call it. "Who exactly are you?" Sanemi inquired, his gaze piqued. This was not something to discuss in the middle of the jungles. As I adjusted my Yukata, I rolled my eyes.

I let out a loud puff of breath.

"Not right now, Shinazugawa," I murmured, looking at Giyuu, who was staring at me with a puzzled expression as well.

Oh god. I returned my gaze as soon as I met his blue eyes.

"Perhaps we should spend the night in Takayama village," I grumbled, refusing to start the subject now.

The fact that Tomioka was behaving like his usual solemn self around me was driving me nuts. This man was even more confusing than the last form of sun breathing technique.

As we arrived at Takayama village, we were escorted to our luxurious lodgings.

I lay back on the futon's comforting rest and exhaled what appeared to be the thoughts I was overthinking.

"Was it just a one-time thing?" I questioned myself.

"Perhaps I was overthinking it. I have a personal mission to complete." "This will get in the way," I reasoned as I sat sideways on the featherlight futon.

As my brain became overburdened with issues, my eyelashes became heavy and sleep took control of me.

-
I woke up from my deep slumber, a stretch enveloping. Maybe I should go to the spring and unwind myself. I yawned as I thought to myself.

-

My hands untied the knot of the robe I was wearing, the fabric of which was pooling down my legs.

I gingerly lifted my legs and leaned into the hot spring water, the vapor already calming me.

I ran the water through my thick hair's roots.

"Mmm, this feels much better," I sighed, feeling the entire journey wash away with the water. At the very least, some of it.

Exactly at that moment, a figure entered, his towel wrapped dangerously low, leaving little to the imagination.

"G-Giyuu san" I mumbled. He looked at me, shocked, as he discovered I was already there.

He turned around and tried to walked away from the location, possibly thinking he was interfering with my alone time.

"Please"

"don't go" I tightened my teeth. He looked around, a blank expression on his face.

He walked over carefully, eventually leaning into the water.

"Tomioka san," I said, deliberately using his last name.

"Why-why are you avoiding me?" I managed to ask between being curious and stuttering.

"I"- was all he could say.

"I apologize," he said once again.

"For what exactly?" I asked, my head tilted to the side.