My father

Many years ago....

With the back of my hand, I wiped the beads of shining sweat patches on my forehead.

Living in Shikoku, an isolated place protected from many people's ill intents.

I'd figured out how to live on my own.

I strolled over to the house I'd built out of earth's incredibly resourceful basic materials.

My tired hands banged the water bucket I was carrying on the wood's hard floor, laying the excellent fish I'd caught on the smooth stone.

Why had I moved here in the first place?

My father and I used to reside in Yoshiwara's most vibrant neighborhood. Despite the fact that he spent less time in our old house in the district, I was left to fend for myself more times than I could count.

My father gave me the ability. He pushed me to learn how to take care of myself and to possess the strength of a man. We used to live in seclusion. He shielded me from the conflict that could come from the flesh eating demons in the world, that lurked at night.

"They lack the ability to sense emotions, Hime. "If you fail to acquire my methods, I'll fail to succeed myself," he'd remark, his brilliant red eyes piercing into mine.

He frequently taught me swordsmanship. His stance with the blade itself was distinctive. I had been replicating inch by inch.

"Now take a deep breath and sheathe your blade."

"Your waist should be firm"

"Bend your knees, Hime"

"Blade behind you, hold it higher"

"You need to improve your mobility."

"Enough for today," he'd say as he caressed my head. He had the most lovely smile. After losing my mother, he had lost half of the twinkle in his eyes.

He'd always blame himself for failing to protect her.

My father would always say that he would not always be present, and that I needed to acquire his tactics if I was to protect myself.

I'd always observed that I wasn't like other people.

I'd never get sick.

My skin always healed more quickly. Much faster than a typical person.

Life was like this when I was hidden, training, receiving loving comments from my father, and enjoying the little things.

Until my father stepped out one day, his red hair spiked with white, his age succumbing to the day. He never returned.

"Protect yourself first, Hime"

"You should know what to do if you come across one with black hair and red eyes."

"They refer to him as the Demon King." You must defend yourself against him."

"Don't--don't--show mercy"

"Serve yourself with a purpose"

"Your father's heart was far too soft"

"I know what to do, father," I said as I closed my eyes.

"I will always love you, my sweet sweet child," he said as he walked out the door that day.

When he didn't return, my hammering heart couldn't handle it any longer.

For the first time, I ventured out on my own.

My black yukata and red jacket were draped over me. My red nichirin blade was slung about my waist.