For the Future

After passing out the papers to her students, the teacher placed her hands on the desk, reading her announcement to her class.

"Alright, everyone's got handouts, right? Your career surveys are due next Wednesday. We're going to turn them in your interviews, so try not to lose them."

The class responds to her with a simple yes ma'am, making the teacher smile and continue on with her lesson plans for the day. Shortly after the end of class, Yuki Yoshikawa stared out the window with one sleeve covering her mouth as she glanced at the scenery below her. She sighed, remembering the words from her teacher earlier.

"Future plans...huh.." She mumbled.

To her right, Ishikawa and Hori stood together, with Ishikawa being the closest to her and to her left stood [Y/n] and Miyamura, with [Y/n] closest to her. Ishikawa is the first to respond back to her, also mindlessly looking out the window.

"It's the last half of the second year after all, so it's not surprising for a time like this. I bet you've written at least something, no matter how serious you are about it."

Yoshikawa chuckled humorlessly, she really hasn't. "Yeah, barely," She admitted as she turned to [Y/n] and Miyamura, "Miyamura, [L/n], have either of you thought of anything yet?"

"Yeah." Miyamura said, "My family runs a cake shop, so I figured I'd continue running the business. And, making cake is fun at the very least. But, there are still a lot of things I have to learn about."

Yoshikawa, both surprised and satisfied with his answer, straightened up slightly.

"Eh? Your family runs a cake shop?! Cool!" She beamed, eyes going wide with excitement.

"...It's not really that cool." He laughed, somewhat shocked by her enthusiasm "But, what about you, [L/n]? Are you planning on going to college?"

[Y/n], who had been pretty much spacing out the entire time during the conversation, jumps slightly at the sudden spotlight.

"Huh? Oh, sure..."

"You're very smart, [L/n]. You could probably get into one of the top schools." Hori said, popping into the small chat, "I'm sure it'll be easy for you."

[Y/n] shrugged her shoulders, "I'm not actually smart, I just study too much, really." She pursed her lips, causing them to form a single straight line, "It's nice to do things that make everyone around you happy. Like selling good cakes. There's nothing good I would be able to do."

Suddenly, Hori walks over to [Y/n], placing her hands on her shoulders. [Y/n] raised her eyebrows, wondering what Hori was up to. Without any warning, Hori roughly shook the other's shoulders rapidly, almost breaking her neck.

"The hell are you saying, popular girl?! Anything you do would be amazing!! Don't give up!!" As Hori shakes her, [Y/n] seemed emotionless, if not for the small sparkling glint in her eyes. Yoshikawa soon joins in on the teasing, yelling with Hori.

"Yeah! The heck, [L/n]! You can do it!"

Meanwhile, Ishikawa gave a look to Miyamura, a small smile painting his face.

"But [L/n] seems like she could really do anything. Her work to become one of the top students in the school was impressive enough."

"I know, right?" Miyamura agreed with a grin, peeking another look. [Y/n] was watching Hori and Yoshikawa with a small smile as the two girls laughed to each other, too giggly to notice the other's smile. With the ring of the bell, however, the quintet stopped their mild teenage chat for the day as they headed to their next class.