CHAPTER 39: DON'T TRY TO GET YOURSELF KILLED

Jasper's POV

"Hi, mom." I greeted and kissed her by the forehead. Her odor was covered with hospital chemicals.

"Hi, sweetie." Her smile takes away any negative energy that I have. Nevertheless, I could still feel that she's faking to be active and happy. Her pale figure, her pale lips, her pale complexion, her dull-exhausted eyes and persistent coughing indicate that she's not fine at all.

"This is Estevin." I introduced. "Estevin, my mom."

"Hi ma'am, good evening." he said politely and went to kiss her on the cheek.

"Oh God, drop the ma'am please. I'm okay with Grace." Mom said. "So, what are you doing here in the hospital? You supposed to be having fun outside."

"Mom, that's why we're here. Estevin's asking your permission to bring me out for a date." I said cheerfully.

"What? A date?" she knitted her brows in shock and confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Estevin's my boyfriend mom. We're two months pregnant. You'll be a grandmother soon." I announced in excitement, but an immediate look of horror was written down on her face. Her pale brown eyes were about to jump out of her sockets. I panicked.

"Ah," she gasped and stroke her chest multiple times. "Help, I c-an't breathe."

She said and in an instant, the monitor beeped constantly and went on a flat line.

..."Ha!" I uttered in ultimate nervousness as I jumped off slightly from my seat. I caught my breathe, gasping for air and excessively sweating.

"Were you having a nightmare?" Another fright occurred into me when a voice erupted somewhere near. I looked up and saw Dr. Murphy up close, with his decent white lab coat, clasping his hands together as he usually does.

He asked so calmly like nothing around him happened. "Y-eah, I j-ust have."

"Why were you sleeping on the patient's bed?" he asked as he straightened his posture. "It's exclusive for the patient only. You have the couch."

"I-m sorry, I- I dozed off." I answered, just because he's nice.

"Your surname is Granger and the patient is Simbajon. How are you related?" I was speechless, did not see the question coming. I don't know how to respond to his question since I don't know what's the answer. "You seemed puzzled. I can see the way you look at him. Is he your boyfriend?" I almost choked up by my saliva with his question. He's very straightforward.

"N-o." I stuttered.

"Then, is he your crush?"

"He's my boss's son. His mother tasked me to babysit him while she's on duty at the pharmacy. I am just happened to be their part-timer." I explained. Sometimes, his honesty bothers people, but somehow, part of me like him. He's someone you want to befriend with. He's a very cool and gifted surgeon with autism, that's why he has a difficulty in communicating people and I understand.

"Okay. I'm going to check his vitals now." he said and went on to adjust something on the dextrose. "Someone's looking for you outside. His name's Kevin."

My brows raised in surprise and averted my gaze from Dr. Murphy to the door. What is he doing here? Why did he know I was here?

Walking out in confusion, I saw Kevin down the hallway sitting in a bent position on the bench, clasping his hands together. He's still on his school uniform as well, without the black blazer on, but only the white long sleeve; unironed and the sleeves were folded up to his elbows. When he saw me, his face remained stoic.