~6~

Enid's POV:

In the early morning, around like 8 am, Wednesday leads me out of the dorm to the forest. She takes me along to walk down a path with her. Why? I have no idea.

Maybe just a nice and romantic walk. I don't know. We'll see, I guess.

The birds chirp in the trees and a slight wind whooshes by. The path is covered in leaves and sticks. I try to avoid stepping on them as much as I can, but Wednesday is over there not caring what's in her way.

I don't enjoy the sounds. They remind me of that night. Me wolfing out for the first time, Wednesday almost getting killed by that monster, me saving her.

I push the thought away and try to block out the noise. I take this moment to look at my girlfriend. The way her face is shaped. Her dark, void-like eyes. She looks more than hot. She looks...

Terrifying.

In a good way, though.

I notice Wednesday's head turn towards me. She stares into my eyes with a soft expression. No glare? I feel a hand grasp mine. I look down to see our fingers interlocked. I look back up to find Wednesday facing forward again.

I swear I see the tiniest smile on her face. As I look forward, my lips themselves form a smile. We continue walking down the path, my eyes occasionally drifting down towards our hands holding one another.

My ears perk up to a small sound in the bushes. Our faces turn towards the noise as a twig snaps behind us.

Our hands fall apart as I extend my claws, I try to hide the scared expression on my face. I want Wednesday to think I'm strong and fearless. I need to protect her. I frantically look around us into the forest, not seeing a single thing.

My hand tries to find Wednesday's to make sure she's okay and still with me. As I feel cold skin, I grab it. I let out a breath of relief. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

I hear a low growl.

My head twirls around to a large creature lunging at Wednesday. Her hand is ripped from mine as they tumble to the ground. My hand finds my mouth and I gasp. Wednesday groans and fights back at the monster.

"Enid..." I hear a faint deep voice say. I realize Wednesday's calling for help.

I need to help her.

Wolf out. Wolf out! I scream in my head.

My eyes close and reopen to find myself still in my human form. Why can't I wolf out?

My knees give out and I fall to the ground. I can't do anything. All I can do is sit there and watch my girlfriend get gutted.

I can't move at all. Her screams fill the air as I break down and sob.

No. Don't leave! I'm sorry...

Wednesday's POV:

I wake up to Enid, sometimes violently moving around, but crying. In her sleep. Odd, different. I look over to the clock on my desk and squint my eyes.

It's 1:37 in the afternoon. Our date last night lasted a long time to the point that we fell asleep in the graveyard. A guard woke us up early in the morning.

"Hey!" He yelled. "Get out or I'm calling the sheriff!"

We quickly packed our things and ran off back to Nevermore. Once we got into the dorm, we flopped on our beds and fell back to sleep.

I yawn and stretch as I stand from my bed and walk over to Enid's. I find her stuffed bear I gave her on the floor. I pick it up and set it against her pillow, away from her thrashing.

I sit down on her bed and lightly put my hand on her forearm. "Hey... Enid..." I say quietly.

I see her face shine in the light. I take my sleeve and lightly wipe her face. I'm still wiping off the tears as her eyes shoot open and her hands grip my shoulders tightly.

"Don't leave!" She yells. I take her hands and move them from my shoulders to my lap.

"It's okay. I'm right here." I whisper to the girl.

She takes a couple of breaths before removing her hands from my lap. "I-I'm sorry. Just a nightmare." She stutters as she sits up and sniffles.

I try to think of the day but my brain is clogged. I'm pretty sure it's the weekend. "Well, it's the weekend. Do you maybe want to hide in here all day and watch movies?" I ask.

Her face brightens up a bit. Enough to not make me worry. "Yes! Yes!" She says with excitement.

I get up off her bed to grab her laptop off her desk. "Okay, but it has to be horror," I say sternly as I toss the laptop onto her lap.

"But I hate scary movies!" She whines.

"Okay, and?" I respond.

She pouts and huffs as she opens her laptop to open a streaming service application. I get back onto her bed, moving as close as possible without touching her.

After a couple of minutes of arguing, we decided on Scream. Honestly, horror is the only genre I enjoy. I also want Enid to cling to me at the "scary" parts.

Which she does, not even five minutes into the movie. She removes herself soon after, respecting my boundaries, but comes right back.

For the rest of the day, we finish watching Scream 1 through 6. As night approaches, I don't leave her bed. I want to stay. We turn away from each other, though, as we head to bed.

"I love you, Wednesday." I hear her say.

What did she just say? She... loves me?

I stare off into space, I can't say it back, I never did. It pressures me, it feels... weird. "I..." I drift off as my words get jumbled.

I just can't get it out. It's stuck in my throat.

I hear Enid's soft snores, indicating she has fallen asleep. I won't be able to say it out loud for a long time but...

I love you too, Enid.

——————————

1040 words