Part 3/15

Alex is about to leave the house for school, but not without receiving his birthday presents first, from Sam and his parents.

Sam: (hands Alex a DVD) Don't say I never give you anything.

Alex: (unwraps it) Really? Another Boyz Az 1 album? It's the third time in a row, Sam.

Sam: No it's not, it's only the second ti... Shut up!

[Sam walks away]

Johanna: And now, from your father and I (hands Alex a box).

Lanford: Hope you like it, son.

Alex: (unwraps it) A drone?

Johanna: Yes.

Lanford: It comes with removable batteries, and a camera with 4k resolution

Johanna: We figured you're too old for another Crystals And Skulls box.

Alex: ... I am. Thanks, guys. I can't wait to try it later.

[The bell rings]

Alex: That will be Simon. So if you excuse me, I'm gonna go to school (starts walking away).

Lanford: Go on, then. You don't wanna be late.

Johanna: And don't worry. We know you're too grown to go to King's Palace again.

Alex: (under his breath) At last, I got rid of that.

[Alex leaves the house, and runs into Simon]

Alex: I did it, mate. I escaped the loop year... Why aren't you happy about it?

Simon: Because now everyone at school will think I wee'd in the pool. If you had looped again, none of this would have happened, you plank!

Alex: And didn't you?

Simon: No. For the last time, it's an urban myth!

Alex: Who cares, mate? People will forget about it anyway.

[The two start walking towards school]

Alex: So, I read Nicola's letter.

Simon: And what did she say?

Alex: She, uhm... Likes me.

Simon: Really? That's great! So you got Nicola. Congrats, mate.

Alex: Unfortunately, it's not so simple.

Simon: How so?

Alex: She thinks someone close to me likes me, and she wants me to sort that out, otherwise we can't be a couple.

Simon: Someone close to you? Who? Big Hannah?

Alex: That's what I thought. But no. It's clearly Maddy. (looks back to see if she's behind them) She's not behind us right now. Thank God.

Simon: (bursts out laughing) Hahahaha, Maddy. Nice joke, mate.

Alex: It's true. Sam reckons Maddy's always liked me, and I was too blind to see it.

Simon: Mate, it's Maddy. She couldn't possibly have a crush on... You.

[Simon starts having flashbacks of Alex and Maddy's interactions, and realizes it too]

Simon: Oh my God! Maddy likes you!

Alex: Exactly! 

Simon: How come I never realized this before?

Alex: Exactly!

Simon: So what are you gonna do?

Alex: Exactly!

Simon: What?

Alex: S-sorry, my brain glitched. I don't know. I guess I have to choose between the two of them.

Simon: And how hard can that choice be? Are you even attracted to Maddy?

Alex: I don't know, mate. I never thought of her like that. She's always been a mate... I mean, she's cute, and smart, and we have a lot in common. And she's naturally weird, so I won't weird her out.

Simon: Mate, you can't date Maddy. She's the sister you never had.

Alex: I have a sister.

Simon: Yeah, but I said the one you never had.

Alex: (sigh) Sam reckons I should date Maddy.

Simon: You can't take romantic advice from Sam. What does she know about dating? She could be with me, and she's not. That tells you she's not an expert on the matter.

Alex: ... Whatever. Who will I take advice from, then?

Simon: Me, you plank!

Alex: And what's your great advice, Simon?

Simon: Choose Nicola. You've been through two years of hell to get her. You wasted a tempo loop that could have been used to cheat on tests, or win the lottery on her. And you just luckily managed to stop her from ending up with Troy. She's the one, mate. The girl of your dreams. You wouldn't do all that stuff for Maddy, would you?

Alex: I don't know. I guess not.

Simon: Then there you have it. Choose Nicola.

Alex: Oh, man. I'm gonna run into Maddy in no time. And I'm about to have the most difficult conversation ever with her. How do I even do this? I never rejected anyone.

Simon: I can give you some tips. I got some experience in that area.

Alex: You? Who did you ever reject?

Simon: ... That's not important. What matters, is that I'm an expert on girls.

Alex: And yet you've been trying to get Sam for years, and nothing.

Simon: Nothing yet. But after what happened yesterday, I decided to change my approach. I'm gonna pretend I don't care about Sam, and she'll fall in love with me.

Alex: (chuckles) That's never gonna happen.

Simon: Yes it will! Girls love it when guys ignore them.

Alex: Seriously, Simon? That kind of stuff only works in cheesy movies, and shows.

Simon: We'll see.