Part 11/15

Alex and Maddy went to the library, to talk.

Maddy: So I guess you've heard about Howe's loop year, and how we were a couple, for a moment.

Alex: Yeah... I'm sorry, I never realized you liked me.

Maddy: That's okay. It's not like I told you. You had no way of knowing.

Alex: Yeah. Plus, I'm pretty blind to signs.

Maddy: So what did Nicola's letter say?

Alex: Well, she does have feelings for me. But she wanted me to sort things out with you, first. She doesn't want to be in the middle of anything.

Maddy: Okay. And how do you feel?

Alex: I'm still in love with her, despite everything that happened.

Maddy: Good. Then I think you should go for it.

Alex: And you'll be okay?

Maddy: Yes. You're not the only guy in the world, Alex. And besides, things didn't work for us. Howe says the breakup as so bad, that I had to change schools.

Alex: So we definitely don't wanna go down that road.

Maddy: No, we do not.

Alex: So are you okay with staying friends?

Maddy: Of course. Are you?

Alex: Sure, why wouldn't I be?

Maddy: Maybe Nicola doesn't want us to be friends.

Alex: You don't think that's what she meant, by sorting things out, do you?

Maddy: I don't know, Alex. You're gonna have to ask her.

Alex: ... I can't stop being your friend. You and Simon are the best mates I could ask for.

Maddy: Then tell her that.

Alex: I'm scared she'll reject me. That's what she did, in the other timeline.

Maddy: ... I hate to be the one telling you this, but that will always be a possibility. Especially since you two are so different.

Alex: I know. But I still love her.

Maddy: Then go for it. Just be sure to stay true to yourself, and to your friends.

[A librarian interrupts them]

Librarian: You two, shush! You've talking for a while now. Either stay quiet, or leave.

Alex: Let's get outta here.

Maddy: Yeah, that'll be the best thing to do.