Part 6/15

Alex and Simon are now in the classroom, which is almost full, and with chaotic levels of chatter and noise.

Alex: Where is Maddy? Shouldn't she be here by now?

Simon: Yeah. I'll text her, so see if she's okay (starts texting Maddy).

Alex: Good. Nicola should be here too... And now that I think of it, I haven't talked to Maddy yet.

Simon: Relax. It's not like she wants you to stop hanging out with Maddy, or anything.

Alex: Yeah... Wait, what if she wants that?

Simon: She didn't say that in the letter, did she?

Alex: She said I have to sort things out. You don't think that's what she meant, do you? 

Simon: Probably not. There's no way she's that unreasonable.

[Nicola enters, accompanied by Amy and Loren. They sit far away from Alex and Simon. But Alex and Nicola eventually look at each other.

Nicola: (waves at Alex)

Alex: (waves back)

Simon: Yeah, you don't look creepy at all, with that lunatic smile on your face.

Alex: Whatever, Simon.

[The new teacher walks in. The class gets silent, as the teacher starts talking]

Alex: (whispering to Simon) Maddy should be here by now.

Simon: (whispering back) I know. She hasn't replied to my text yet.

Alex: (whispering back) What's going on with her?

Simon: (whispering back) No idea, mate. I'm not a wizard... Hey, Parker is sitting by himself. That's a first.

[They hear a knock on the door]

Teacher: Yes, who is it?

[Howe and Maddy open the door]

Maddy: Sorry, we're late.

Howe: Yeah, sorry.

Teacher: Well, it's the first day, so I'm gonna let that slide. Come on in, you two.

[Howe and Maddy come in, and sit together, far away from Alex and Simon, as well as Parker]

Simon: (whispering to Alex) Why isn't she sitting with us?

Alex: (whispering back) I don't know. Did you do something to annoy her?

Simon: (whispering back) No. Did you?

Alex: (whispering back) Besides not realizing she was in love with me for two years? No.

Simon: (whispering back) Why is she sitting with Howe? And why isn't Howe with Parker?

Alex: (whispering back) Yeah, what the hell is going on here? Since when does she get along with Howe? Are Howe and Parker not friends anymore?

Maddy: (whispering to Howe) So what's gonna happen with you and Parker? Are you not gonna be his friend again, ever?

Howe: (whispering back) Possibly not. He's a bully. And so was I, because of him. I had the worst year of my life, because of that. Sometimes you have to lose friends, when they become toxic. 

Maddy: (whispering back) That is true... You really don't know why Alex and I didn't work?

Howe: (whispering back) No. All I know is that you two broke up, and because of that, you changed schools.

Maddy: (whispering back) That's awful. I don't know what to do now.

Howe: (whispering back) You can always date me, instead... Sorry, I'm coming off a little strong.

Maddy: (whispering back) A little bit. Let's not rush into anything.