Chapter 18: Despair Descends

__

Hendrickson scoffed and laughed. He seemed to have turned mad. "Look at that monster's corpse." King said. "So red and flabby." Diane said. "It gives me the creeps!" "Impossible." King said. "Is that what I think it is?" "Yeah. A Demon." Meliodas said. "A Red Demon as they called it." Y/n said.

"The magical power emanating from that corpse matches what I sensed from Dale and the New Generation." Gowther said. "It appears to be the root of this evil." "Twenty years ago, when these remains were first discovered deep in the Fairy King's Forest, this journey began." Hendrickson said. King gasped and Ban looked a little mad. "All that I have accomplished has been made possible by this Red Demon. Both the Old Generation and New. The experiments that gave us those compatible with demon blood. The partial deciphering of the Dark Magic system. And now this..." a bunch of Hendrickson's magic started to spew out like tentacles. Y/n used protection to keep them safe from the demon magic. "At last! I myself wield the power of the Red Demon!"

"If the Red Demon's power is your only ace in the hole," Ban said and started to sprint at Hendrickson. "Your best bet is to fold and walk away from the table." Ban punched Hendrickson in the head. "'Cause I'm the one who killed that fat freak!" Ban hit Hendrickson so hard that Hendrickson fell down a giant hole in the ground.

"Ban." King said. Ban picked up his nunchucks and they destroyed the red demon's head into tiny pieces. "Ban, you really killed that thing 20 years ago?" "Who killed what and when isn't important." Ban said.

Y/n, Meliodas, Diane and Gowther looked down the gigantic hole. Y/n tried to use her light magic to see anything but the ho was too big. "Forget that." Y/n said. "Take a look at the size of that hole." "I detect a slight breeze." Gowther said. "Which must mean that there's a cave further down." "Let's go!" Meliodas said. "But, I don't think I can fit down there!" Diane said. "No problem. You can stay up here and keep a lookout." Meliodas said. "Okay, but try to be careful!" Diane said. "See you soon!" Y/n said and jumped on. Right after her was Meliodas and Ban followed by Gowther and King.

"Good news, bad news." Meliodas said. "We made it down okay, but it's pitch dark." "You can't seem to flick the booger, can you, Ban?" Gowther asked. "Great, I guess one of us can see." Ban said.

"I'll use my light magic." Y/n said and then lit the room up. "I guess you are always the light of my world." Meliodas said and snickered. "That is a terrible joke." Y/n said. "But seriously. That new magic of yours sure comes in handy, huh?" Meliodas said.

"A trail of blood." Gowther said. The hand walked down the cave and followed Hendrickson's blood. The haves were quite big. "Who knew there was such a huge cave down here?" King said. "I'm certain that the space itself has been here for thousands of years." Gowther said. "But there's no indication anyone entered in quite some time. Still... it somehow feels familiar." "I guess what must have been down here is long gone." Meliodas said. "What is this place?"

"Captain!" King said as he spotted something ahead. Everyone looked forward and saw Hendrickson. "My gratitude, Fox Sin Ban, for making this possible." Hendrickson said. "If not for you, I would never have been able to acquire the power of the Red Demon." "I'm always happy to help." Ban said sarcastically. "It's been a trying process." Hendrickson said. Seeking bodies of capable of withstanding it. For unlike the blood of the Red Demon, this one's blood will bring instant death to any soul unlucky enough to receive it."

"This one?" Y/n said and brought the light closer to see what he was talking about. She saw a gray demon and knew what he said was a lie, she was living proof as she took blood from an even higher demon. It had to do with what race you were and your power level. "The body that is compatible with the magical power of its kinsman, the Red Demon, is the one that can tolerate the reaction to its blood." "This is..." Meliodas said.