Chapter 28: A Promise To A Loved One & What We Lacked & Father and Son

____

"Lady Zaneri!" Elizabeth said in the real world. "I don't understand, why is Sir Meliodas acting so strangely?" "This is the Tower of Trials." Zaneri said. "The Tower of Trials?" Elizabeth said in confusion. "Is this the one to find out if he can get his power back?" "Mm-hmm." Zaneri said with a nod. "Right now, he's being tested to see if his soul is worthy of receiving the power taken from him." "Oh, I see." Elizabeth said.

-

Meanwhile, inside Meliodas' head he had Liz and Y/n right in front of him. A Y/n who truly remembers him... "come on, let's get moving." Y/n said and took Meliodas' arm. They walked down rows of houses and Meliodas just looked around. "That Zaneri, what does she think she's doing, showing me something like this?" Meliodas asked. "Zaneri?" Liz asked. "You've been acting pretty weird." "Yeah, got a headache or something?" "You know, for being hallucinations, you two look pretty real." Meliodas said. "Huh?" They both said.

Meliodas took off his gloves and touched Y/n. "Feel real too!" Meliodas said and almost touched her breasts, earning him a hit from Liz. "Don't do that in public!" She said. "That hurt!" "You're such a moron!" Meliodas' parrot, Wandle, said. "Got anything shiny?" "Stop fooling around." Liz said. "Let's go home." Wandle squawked and flew away as Meliodas chuckled. "Right." He said.

'Why are they making me see an illusion like this anyway?' Meliodas thought. 'Don't know how they pulled it off but it really does feel like I'm back.' It was now late evening and they were in Liz and Meliodas' old home that they shared in Danafal.

"Is that dinner?" Wandle asked while flying around and squawked. "Wandle's dinner?" "Stay back!" Liz said with a smile and a giggle. "This isn't for you, Wandle." She then teased the bird and stuck her tongue out like a small child. Making Meliodas and Y/n giggle. Both already sat by the table, not trusted to cook. Liz chuckled softly and put down the food on the table.

-

Everyone was now eating the delicious food Liz had made, even Wandel. 'All that's happened in Liones, the revival of the Ten Commandments, Y/n losing her memory...' Meliodas thought. After dinner it became quite late. Wandel fell asleep and Meliodas, Liz and Y/n shared a hug before Y/n was supposed to leave. It was almost like the memories were jumping forward in time slightly. But not enough to be noticeable yet. 'Was all that I saw just an illusion?'

Suddenly Meliodas felt a water drop on his nose. He opened his eyes and now he was outside in the rain. He could hear someone cry beside him. Meliodas pulled back of the hug and saw a crying Y/n clutching Liz who was still barely holding on to life. Y/n's skin was burning by Liz's armor and she was covered in her own and Liz's blood. Flashes of the terrors that had accrued in Danafal and the bodies around him made Meliodas lose it. His demonic rage took over and he made the entirety of Danafal explode.

He continued to scream, until he couldn't hold the scream and panted for air. Someone ran up to him. "Hey! Are you okay?" A calm Y/n said. Meliodas looked up and gasped as he saw Y/n, perfectly fine with Liz beside her, still in Danafal. "You look like you've seen a ghost." Liz said. 'So... all part of my test, huh?' Meliodas though, still filled with rage. 'Damn you, Zaneri!'

__

'Who am I?'

That question that swirled Y/n's head. Well, she knew she was Y/n, the angel princess. But there was so much she didn't know about herself. It felt like she lived in the body of a completely different person. It was so distracting she would sometimes forget she was in a fight in the first place.

Jena was very correct when she said Y/n's powers would come back quickly, too quickly. It was as if her body was used to them but not her mind. She had no true control over it and she was mostly just stumbling forward in her fights. "Take this!" She tried to throw a ball of light at a demon she battled, but it went way out of control and made a huge explosion. To avoid it herself she had to jump backwards and she landed balancing on one arm. "That was way too much." She said and jumped to land on her feet. "How do I even control this stuff." Suddenly she felt her mind flashing once more. When she had used this ability before, like it was the most natural thing in the world... Natural... Natural, that's the answer.