A 4th July To Remember, Or Forget

Scarlett's POV...

Me: Why the fuck would you go over there?!
Colin: She is the kids' other parent Scarlett, it would be good for us to get along.
Me: You don't need to get along with her! It's not like we're going for family dinners every Sunday, you'll barely see her. Are you forgetting that the last time she broke your nose?!
Colin: Are you forgetting that the last time I nearly killed her?! We need to get along now, this is becoming ridiculous. Which is why, we're going to her 4th July party later.
Me: We absolutely aren't.
Colin: Oh yes, we are. Go and get ready. We're gonna go, have some drinks and laugh, we're gonna spend time with friends and the kids, and there's going to be no drama. Okay?
Me: I'm not going there.
Colin: Fine, your loss. But I'm going. Because unlike you, I actually think she's a good person, and you're being too harsh.

I follow Colin into the bedroom.

Colin: I'm not arguing anymore, I need to go shower.
Me: You hated her, what happened?
Colin: I never hated her, never. We spent a lot of time today just talking about growing up, about the kids, about you mostly. We have a lot in common. Her dad was a cop, her mom was a nurse and mine was a medic. We talked about how she didn't go to university, about Harvard, about Rose and Jess going to Columbia. I really think you need to start thinking about the example you're setting to the kids about how to treat someone. She's just letting you get on with it and making excuses for you to Rose. I can't do that anymore. So buck your ideas up, Scarlett. I'm serious.

He walks off into the bathroom to shower as I sit on the bed with my head in my hands. How did it get this bad?

Y/N's POV...

Me: The Deborah Mackin, in real life.

Florence's mom throws herself into me, squeezing me tightly.

Deborah: Last time I saw you, you were a scrawny little 18 year old. My god you look amazing.
Me: Thank you. Let me introduce you to some people. Cos?!

Cosmo, Rose and Jess come over.

Me: Guys, this is Deborah, Raffie, Toby and Arabella. Flo's family. This is Cosmo, Rose and Jess, my kids.

They greet each other kindly.

Cosmo: Hailee!

Hailee follows Florence and her family with Reef. Cosmo jumps on Hailee as she hugs him tightly.

Hailee: You got so big! Go and play with Reef for me would you?
Cosmo: We can get some drinks first, what would you all like?

The Pugh family give their drinks requests to the kids, and they head off to the kitchen to grab them.

Deborah: They're so polite.
Me: They were brought up properly I guess. Probably Scarlett's doing to be fair, I'm not that nice to people.
Florence: I thought you only had them on weekends?
Me: Colin convinced her to let me have them a day early so they could be here.
Florence: I'm sure Scarlett's thrilled with that.
Me: Not sure. Didn't get involved to be honest. Go on, I'll catch up with you inside.

The Pugh's wander into the back garden to grab their drinks from the kids as Taylor comes over, wrapping her arm around my shoulders and kissing my cheek.

Taylor: Listen to this.

She puffs out her chest and begins to do the worse queen's English accent known to man.