Chapter Thirty-Five

The next morning, I went to work as usual. I thought to myself, how unlucky could one person be? I was already upset about dropping Little L off for a month. Then my boyfriend broke up with me because he thought that I was sleeping with my husband. My husband's best friend's girlfriend accuses me of sleeping with her man, who happens to be in love with me. One of the women my husband left me for is pregnant and may be losing her child. It was like a fucking soap opera. How is a person supposed to stay sane through all of that? Needless to say, I wanted to hurt everyone who hurt me. I wanted to hurt Lamar, Teresa, and Crystal. None of them thought anything about my feelings, just their own.

My day was much better after I received a call from Little L. He said that he and his grandfather had just come from fishing. He sounded like he was having so much fun. It made me miss him more hearing his voice, but it was better that he wasn't there. After I hung up with Little L, I decided to call my sister. I really needed someone to talk to.

"Hello."

"Hey, what's up?" I said as I cleared my throat.

"Nothing, are you home?"

"No, I'm about to leave work. Do you want to do something?" I asked.

"Yeah, I would like that. When?"

"Now?"

"Um, I'm a little involved right now."

"Involved, what do you mean involved?"

"Must I spell it out sister?" she said with a whisper.

"Oh, involved. Okay, okay. I guess your dry spell is over then?"

"Hell yeah! Don't you think it is about time?" She yelled out. "You have dropped off the face of the earth since you have moved, and you have this new relationship. I had to occupy my time with something.

"Well, I am sorry that I have been so distant lately. Give me a call when you are free."

"Hey, sis, is everything okay?" she asked with a concerned tone.

"Yeah, yeah. I will just talk with you later."

"Are you sure? You don't sound like you are okay. I can talk if you need me."

"Yes, I'm sure. I'm just a little tired that's all and missing Little L. Go be involved and call me and tell me all the details." I said as I tried not to burst into tears and start spilling my guts out to her. I didn't want to dampen her mood. She had finally found someone that she was ready to give herself to. Who am I to have ruined that?

"Okay, so I will call you when I am free. As long as you are sure that is all that is wrong with you."

"That's all. I promise. Go ahead and have fun. I am happy for you."

"Okay, I will call you later then. Go home and get some rest."

"I will...try," I said.

It was ironic how the tables had turned. When Niecey wasn't dating... I was dating a man, flirting and fucking my husband, and flirting with his friend. I never really had time to talk to my sister. Now that I don't have a man and need to talk to my sister, she now has a man, and she is too busy to talk to me. 

All I wanted to do was go home and jump in the tub and curl up with a bowl of brownie and ice cream, look at my television, and have a nice glass of something to make me relax. I guess it was back to the old basics for me, and those things never let me down.