XX

(POV Danielle)

It's sunday, and everything's going horribly.
First my coffee machine just stopped working, then I found out I forgot to get Oakley's dog food, so I had to run to the store to get that. And as soon as I got home and fed her, my sister called and told me I had to rush over.

So that's where I'm at right now. The emergency? Another event she promised to make cupcakes for. Thank goodness she didn't have to make as many as she did last time. We just put the last batch in the oven, so we're starting to clean up the mess.

"So, how's the school?"
"It's fine. How's work?"
"Ugh, still the same."
"Then stand up for yourself, Lains. It's not that hard."
"Someone's in a bad mood."
"Sorry."
"Wanna talk about it?"
"Not really."

It's not that we're not close, we tell each other pretty much everything. But since it's with a student, I can't risk it. It's not safe. Especially not since her husband's already homophobic. He wouldn't think twice about ratting me out.

Once we finish cleaning up and taking the last batch out of the oven, we put them all in boxes so she can bring them to the event tomorrow.

"At least stay for dinner."

I sigh, "fine." I pour myself a glass of wine, and plop down on her couch. Not much later, I hear the front door. Ben's home. Awesome. He greets me as he walks in and then gives Lainey a kiss.

I get up so I can help her set the table. She put something easy in the oven for dinner. She takes it out just as I finish setting the table. I sit down and pour myself some water. I can't drive under the influence, so water's gonna have to do.

We're all eating and chatting, and with chatting I mean Ben talking about work and me just agreeing with everything he's saying.
"So Danielle, how's work?"
"It's good. Same old."
"Still teaching high schoolers?"
I nod. "Seniors."
"Oh that's, um- something. Yeah. Good for you."

I roll my eyes. He thinks he's better than anyone and I quite frankly couldn't care less. But I do however care about my sister. So I don't argue.

When we're finished, I help her put everything in the dishwasher and then grab my stuff.

"Thank you for dinner. I'll see you guys later."

I head out the door and speed off. That guy gets on my nerves like my most annoying students do.
Once I'm home, I take Oakley for a walk and then get ready for bed. I shower and put my pj's on.

As I walk out of the bathroom, I see the guest bedroom's door still ajar. I walk over and open the door. Oakley runs in and immediately lays down in the bed. I give her a small smile. "You miss them too, huh?" She whines as a response.

I call her over and then close the door. Leaving the room exactly as they left it. Telling Saylor that I'm only able to be her teacher and nothing else, both physically and emotionally hurt. But that's the only option. I just hope she won't be an absolute menace in class. I know I hurt her, and I wish I didn't have to, but she deserves something I can't give her.

I crawl into bed and set my alarm before going to sleep. Oakley settles next to me and gives me kisses before falling asleep.

~~~

It's monday morning. I'm waiting by the door for my first class greeting everyone. When I see Saylor and Ezra around the corner, I mentally prepare myself. I find myself always looking forward to seeing her, but not looking forward to finding out what mood she's in.

"Saylor. Ezra."

Ezra says good morning, while Saylor ignores me completely and walks towards the back of the class. Bad and ignoring mood it is.