XXV

Why in the world did I even agree to going trick or treating with them? I don't know what the point in me setting boundaries was, if I completely ignore them the second Saylor opens her mouth.

And it's not that I don't want to go, or that I don't want to be with them, it's that I don't know what will happen if I continue to let myself spend all my free time with them.

I find myself mentally occupied with them every chance I get, wondering how and what they're doing.

Saylor's somewhere backstage getting ready to perform, and I'm an anxious mess. I know she doesn't like performing in front of other people, and I feel bad because she probably felt like she didn't have a choice.

"Dani, don't worry she'll be fine."

Sofia's in my arms waiting for her big sister to perform. I give her a little smile and nod.
"Right, yeah, ofcourse."

Lainey walks out on stage, she looks around and smiles before turning on the microphone.

"Hello everyone. First of all, I wanna thank each and every one of you for coming here today, it is greatly appreciated. As you all saw in the invitation, we were supposed to have a well-known band performing today. Sadly, they informed us not too long ago that they are stuck in traffic and won't be able to make it. However, we have a very special guest here today who offered to take their spot. She is an amazing local singer, so enjoy the performance and have a great evening."

We all applaud, she walks back to where she came from and greets Saylor who just came out on stage. She gives her a big hug and what seems like a pep talk.

Saylor looks anxious, but still confident. Sofia and I are in the front row like the big fans we are.
She quickly scans the room and smiles when she sees us. She takes a deep breath before reaching towards the microphone.

"Hi everyone, I'm Saylor and I guess today I'm gonna sing some songs for you."

She gives Lainey a small nod, who now apparently joined the people who do all the music and technical stuff.

Soft, quiet music starts playing from the speakers, and I know exactly what song she's about to sing. Ed sheeran's one of my favorite singers of all time.

She closes her eyes and starts singing the song like it's her own.

Another day another life
Passes by just like mine
It's not complicated
Another mind
Another soul
Another body to grow old
It's not complicated
Another tear
Another cry
Another place for us to die
It's not complicated
Another love that's gone to waste
Another light lost from your face
It's complicated

Is it that it's over or do birds still sing for you?
Float down
Like autumn leaves
Hush now
Close your eyes before the sleep
And you're miles away
And yesterday you were here with me
Ooh how I miss you
My symphony played the song that carried you out
Ooh how I miss you
And I, I miss you and I wish you'd stay

She smiles in contentment before opening her eyes and accepting the applause. She immediately locks her eyes with mine and smiles.

This is the moment in the movies where nothing else around two people matter. Where it's only them, their eye-contact, their smiles, their chemistry. Where the lighting is just right, because Saylor's eyes are twinkling like the brightest star in the sky. Where her hair falls perfectly off her shoulders and shapes her face like the angel she is. Where she looks at me and I shut down completely because I'm completely consumed by her.

Our moment gets interrupted by the first notes of the next song. She quickly changes her gaze and goes back to her comfortable singing bubble where no one can reach her.

Better days are comin'
If no one told you
I hate to hear you cryin'
Over the phone, dear
For seven years runnin'
You've been a soldier
But better days are comin'
Better days are comin' for you

Your story's gonna change
Just wait for better days
You've seen too much of pain
Now, you don't even know
That your story's gonna change
Just wait for better days
I promise you, I won't let go
I know you've been hurting
Waiting on a train that just won't come
The rain, it ain't permanent (is our time ever soothing?)
And soon, we'll be dancing in the sun
We'll be dancing in the sun
And we'll sing your song together (eh-eh, eh-eh)

People are clapping, and yelling, and whistling, which is exactly what she deserves. She laughs and soaks it all in. She waves back at Sofia who looks so proud of her big sister.

"All right guys, last one."

Chill out, what you yelling for?
Lay back, it's all been done before
And if you could only let it be
You will see

I like you the way you are
When we're drivin' in your car
And you're talking to me one on one
But you've become

Somebody else 'round everyone else
Watching your back like you can't relax
You're tryin' to be cool
You look like a fool to me
Tell me
Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're
Acting like you're somebody else, gets me frustrated
Life's like this you
You fall and you crawl and you break and you take
What you get and you turn it into
Honesty, you promised me I'm never gonna find you fake it

I felt that one to be honest. I don't think she meant anything with it, and that it was just another song to her. But deep down, we both know how relatable it feels. And it makes me feel like I have a knot in my stomach.

"Thank you guys so much, have a good night."

I look at Sofia and she looks at me, we both nod.
I put her down and grab her hand while we run backstage.

Saylor smiles when she sees us and kneels down to let Sofia run into her arms. She picks her up and swirls her around. "How did I do little one?"
Sofia giggles, "good! See I told you Dani that she was gonna be fine." I feel my face turning red, seriously Sofia? I thought you liked me.

Saylor looks at me and smirks. "Huh, did she think I couldn't do it, Soof?" Sofia shakes her head, "she was just worried." I mentally facepalm myself.

Lainey walks up to Sofia and asks her if she wants to get some candy, she immediately jumps out of Saylor's arms and basically drags Lainey with her. Didn't even know Lainey was back here, which also means she heard the whole thing.

"So, you were worried huh?"
"No, she's just being dramatic."
"Mhm, definitely."

We both smile at eachother.

"You did great Saylor."
"Thank you."

She bumps my shoulder with hers as we walk to Sofia and Lainey.