C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

Riley is putting on an amazing show. For the first time in forever, everything is running exactly how it's supposed to.

I'm keeping my distance from Karen, not wanting to cause any trouble, hoping she won't be the one to approach me.

"I know y'all have been waiting all night to hear the song that put me on the country charts!" Riley yells with excitement., "There Was This Girl' now, has a whole new meaning to it."

He makes direct eye contact with me, smiling while he lets everyone know that he's got himself someone special. I quickly blow him a kiss, making sure no one realizes who he is looking at.

"I was out of my mind, she was out of this world, there was this girl," Riley sings in his smooth southern tone.

I'm feeling petty. I walk up behind Karen as she's watching her son live his dreams, "Nothing you say is going to change the way we feel about each other. I heard everything you said about me today. You should really get to know someone before making those cruel assumptions. After hearing your little conversation with Riley, be glad I'm not making assumptions about you."

Without waiting for a response, I turn on my heels and saunter off into the dressing room, feeling proud for standing up for myself. Riley only has one song left and then his encore. I start packing up all of our things so we can leave right after the show.

We're headed to Nashville on a red eye tonight. He has one show tomorrow and then everyone gets a week off before heading out again. I'm nervous to see where this is going to take us. It's one thing having a relationship when we're stuck up each other's butt's all day everyday. What's it going to look like when we're back in our own spaces?

As I'm gathering Riley's changes of clothes, someone joins me in the dressing room. I look up and meet the eyes of Karen.

"What makes you think you can talk to me like that?" She practically screams at me from across the room.

"What makes you think you can call me a whore?" I ask, trying to seem unbothered. I don't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing she gets under my skin.

"You weren't supposed to hear that," Karen gives me a 'deer in the headlights' look.

"Look Karen," I'm annoyed at this point. I've dealt with these southern women my whole life. They all live this fake persona, knowing deep down, they're vicious human beings. "I'm not going to fight with you. You can think whatever you want about me. I don't care. You don't know how or when things started between Riley and I. And frankly, your son is a grown man. It's none of your business."

She's speechless. Karen has nothing to say to me. Good, she shouldn't.

I turn back around, trying to finish packing Riley's extra changes of clothing.

Riley storms in, his adrenaline pumping from his performance. He stops abruptly in his tracks after seeing his mom and I alone together in the dressing room.

"Uhh," Riley murmurs, not sure of what to make of the situation. I roll my eyes at him, letting him know his mom, once again, crossed a line.

"Mom-," He begins to address her, not sure what direction to take this in.

"Riley, I don't want to hear it right now. I can't believe you would be with someone who is so disrespectful to your mother!"

"Mom, I love you. So Much. But, you have to let me handle this. Please." He pleads.

Karen takes a deep breath, "I just want what's best for you. And, I'm sorry," She turns toward me, "I don't think she is it."

"That's enough, Mom." Riley cuts her off before she can continue.