C H A P T E R N I N E

Heat. All I feel is heat. My body feels like it's on fire, but I can't get enough of it. Riley lowers himself onto the bed while I straddle his waist. His rough hands find his way under my shirt, grabbing my hips. For a split second, insecurity takes over me. I'm not skinny. There's fat there. Is he going to feel it and be turned off? Without realizing, I pause.

Riley notices, "Delta? Are you okay?" He asks, leaning back just enough to look me in my eyes.

Damn Delta, why do you have to ruin everything?

My only response is leaning back in to continue our make out session. Just don't think about it. If he didn't want this, he wouldn't be doing it. I tell myself.

His hands continue grabbing my waist, kneading the skin on my hips. I find my hands lost in his long hair. The stubble from his chin is rough, but welcomed. I didn't realize how much I would like the slight taste of whiskey that is on his breath.

Riley changes the pace when I feel him press up into me. Oh. Holy Shit. So he is turned on. I follow his lead and match his rhythm.

Never in my life would I have pictured myself making out and grinding with the next biggest thing in country music. I feel like we're kids again, not wanting to cross that line, but having too much passion to control ourselves.

Riley surprises me when he stops his motion and pulls away. He removes his hands from underneath my shirt and caresses my cheeks.

"That's enough for now." Rejection floods through my body. He's done? But I don't get it, this is what he said he wanted and now he doesn't? Did he just need proof to get me fired? Why would he put me in such a vulnerable place just to up and quit.

"I should've known better." I mumble as I turn away and get off of him. I try to move quickly, but he grabs my arm and won't let me go.

"Where are you going?" He asks, confusion written all over his face.

"What are you doing? Was this all just a joke to you?" I ask. I don't have the energy to scream or get angry. Instead, the words leave my lips with a defeated sigh.

"Delta, what are you talking about?" He's frustrated. "Would you stop resisting and just come here? Let me explain." I oblige and sit on the bed next to him.

"I stopped because I don't want you to regret any part of this, of us. I know you've had a long day and you're exhausted. I know you're probably not thinking clearly right now. I just didn't want to take this too far and have you regret it later. I don't want to mess this up with you. I stopped because I want you to be absolutely sure of your actions before you make them." Sincerity is all over his face.

On one hand, I appreciate the gesture. On the other hand, the fire in the pit of my stomach is still there and I want to get it taken care of. However, it is sweet that he wants to take things slow, for my sake.

"Thank you." I smile back at him. He grabs my face in his hands once more and plants a soft kiss on my lips. The fire that has dulled is now reunited in my stomach. I attempt to deepen the kiss, but he pulls away.

"We can continue this in the morning, when you're clear-headed and well-rested." He smirks at me. He knows he has the upper hand and he loves it. He's back to the Riley I know. The Riley I am now starting to appreciate.

"Let's go see what the boys are doing." He grabs me by the hand as we head towards the door. I let go as soon as he touches the door knob. He gives me a quizzical look.

"I just don't want them to know. Not yet at least. They might not be as okay with it as you are. Just give me some time with this new situation. Our new situation. Please?" I beg of him.