C H A P T E R E I G H T

When we arrive in Riley's room, he slams the door shut behind us.

He's pacing the room. He looks like he's trying to decide how to take his anger out. His fists are balled beside him and he's shaking.

"Riley," I speak slowly and softly.

His eyes jet to meet mine. His chest is rising and falling at an intensity I've never seen.

"Help me." He pleads. His voice breaks and tears start pouring from his eyes.

His massive ego is long gone. He's begging me to be there for him. As angry as I was with him just a few short minutes ago, my heart swells at the sight in front of me. He could've gone to any member of his team in there, but he chose me. He chose me.

With this realization, I rush over to him. His arms are open to meet me in an embrace. He smells of whiskey and cologne. This is becoming my favorite smell. I know I am the one who is supposed to be comforting him, but being in his arms is the safest I've ever felt.

Riley's uncontrollable sobs are breaking my heart. This unbreakable, strong man is now shattered.

"I hate her, Delta, I hate her." He managed to get out.

"I know you do, I know. And you have every right to," I try to validate his feelings.

"I don't even miss her. I just hate everything about her. I hate what she's doing to me," He admits.

"Piece of shit" I mumble under my breath.

Riley chuckles lightly, "I didn't think you cared that much."

His sobs are now gone. We are standing still in our embrace.

"Why would I not?" I ask, knowing I'm probably confusing the hell out of him. I mean, shit, I'm confusing myself. One minute I hate him, the next, he's the most important person in my life.

"Because you act like you don't. I don't know Delta, you're hard to read." He answers with a sigh.

"I know I am." I reply.

He lets go of me and leads me to the bed. Riley pulls the bed sheets back and prompts me to follow. I hesitate.

"I don't know if I should." I tell him. All I want to do is go to sleep wrapped in his arms, but I know I shouldn't.

"Please," He pleads with me.

I answer by crawling into bed. When we both lay down, he immediately scoots next to me and wraps his arms around me. He makes me feel safe.

Just as I'm drifting off to sleep, I feel his lips press against my hair. No words are spoken, but that's all I need to fall asleep peacefully.

--

I wake to my alarm sounding. I've got a lot to do today, so I can't send it to snooze.

Riley groans, "ughhh turn it off!" He reaches for my phone sitting on his night stand and snoozes it before I can say anything.

He rolls back over and snakes his arms back around my waist, burning his head in the nape of my neck.

"Riley, I've gotta get up. It's a show day. You know I'm busy." He answers me by holding me tighter.

"Just ten more minutes," he mumbles.

"I can't," my voice is a shaking whisper, giving away my fake fight. I know I can't say no to him.

"Baby, yes you can." He replies. My heart lurches in my chest. Every inch of my body starts to tingle. Baby? Did he really just call me that? Do I like it?