TWENTY-SIX.

That next night, Fuyumi found herself rushing to get ready.

"What's got you so worked up?" Lucy inquired.
"Ahh... a date," Fuyumi replied, tying the sash she had received from her Dragon mother, Isolde, around her waist.
"With Sting?" the blonde replied.

"Mm... yes," Fuyumi smiled fondly.
"I never thought that, of all people... you would end up with Sting," Lucy said, "I-I'm not trying to be rude, by the way! It's just a surprise. I never thought that all those times you weren't at the guildhall, you were with him. What made you not want to tell us?"
"Natsu," the Ice Dragon replied shortly, "when it came to boys, he was very odd about it. I told him I'd made a new friend, and her name was Stella."

Lucy giggled, "that's funny... I think you two are a perfect match, you know!"
"You really think so?" Fuyumi stared at herself in the mirror.
"I really do," she answered, "you two totally reinforce the newfound bond between Fairy Tail and Sabertooth! It's almost like a storybook... two lovers, forbidden from each other!"

"Ahh... I really do like him," Fuyumi sighed, "a bit too much for my liking."
"Speaking of..." Lucy said slyly, "Natsu knew that you were seeing him during the Games, every night."
"What?!" Fuyumi shrieked.

Lucy only laughed.
"Of course he knew," she smiled, "he's always keeping an eye on you, even when you think he's not. I convinced him into not saying anything, with the help of Erza... although she didn't know what we'd been arguing about in the first place."

Fuyumi smiled to herself, looking down. Lucy put her hands on the girl's shoulders.
"Uh, Fuyumi... I'm sorry if I ever made you feel unimportant," she said honestly, "I realised that... ever since I joined the guild, Natsu started bringing you on less and less quests with us. And whenever he did... well, he was always looking out for you and he wouldn't let you battle with us. I know that he didn't mean it in a bad way, but... I never wanted you to think that I was more important to him."

Fuyumi stared up at the blonde woman, eyes wide.
"Lucy..." she said. Lucy hugged her tightly.
"You're my little sister too," she said softly, "I've always seen you that way."

Fuyumi blinked quickly and looked up.
"Ahh... I don't want to cry, my foundation cost four-hundred Jewel," she laughed in a watery manner. Lucy also giggled and let her go.

There was a banging from downstairs and Lucy and Fuyumi both looked to the door.
"It sounds like Sting's here..." she sighed, a droplet of sweat running down her face comedically, "by the sound of the shouting."

At that, Lucy took Fuyumi's arm and walked her down the stairs like she was a bride.

There was Sting, surrounded by all of her guildmates. He shouldered his way over to his date, a big grin on his face.

"There you are," he said, taking a second to glance at Lucy.
"Just making sure she gets down safe!" Lucy smiled nervously.
"Thank you, Lucy," Fuyumi smiled, thankfully, taking Sting's arm instead. Rue perched up on her shoulder, a little blue bow tied to her ear.

"Everybody!" Erza boomed, "stop ruining Fuyumi's night of happiness!"

Everybody fell silent and the crowd immediately parted for Sting and Fuyumi. She covered her eyes.
"This is so embarrassing... thank you, Erza!" she said.
The blond gave a hearty laugh, bumping chests with Natsu.

"You better look after her!" the Fire Dragon Slayer shouted, even though he was right next to Sting.
"I will," Sting nodded, grinning before he turned his head to Fuyumi, "let's go?"

She chuckled and then the two walked out of the inn.

Lector awaited them, looking dashing in a tiny little tuxedo.
"I-I figured you would bring Rue, so..." he gestured to Lector. The male Exceed blushed and held a paw out to Rue. She fluttered down from Fuyumi's shoulder and took it.

"Ahh, so cute," Fuyumi giggled. The two Exceeds walked ahead of them.

"Rogue's holding down the fort without me. He said he'd be fine, dealing with our rowdy guildmates, but..." Sting shrugged, "most of them are pretty excited now that Jiemma and Minerva have left."
"Their reign of terror is no more," Fuyumi agreed.

"Of course, there were some people in Sabertooth who were all for the way Jiemma led, but... well, we'll just say that I handled that," the blond said, "I don't know how anyone could love a man like Jiemma. Even Minerva."
"Surely, Minerva was inclined to be by his side as his daughter?" Fuyumi suggested.
"If Natsu turned evil, would you side with him?" Sting returned.
"Touché," Fuyumi said.

"Oh, oh!" the mood lifted as Sting chirped like a happy little bird, "we're here."
"It's rather... extravagant," Fuyumi struggled to find the right word.
"What, you don't like? We can go somewhere else," he replied.
"No! No, I like it, it's just..." she flushed, embarrassedly, "I-I didn't think that you would have the Jewel for this kind of place."

Sting cackled, "what, are you calling me broke, Dragneel?"
He rubbed her back with another hearty laugh, wiped his eyes and then led her inside. Rue and Lector stared at the fancy red interior of the restaurant, the golden chandelier reflecting in their eyes.

"Wow," Fuyumi said.
"It really takes your breath away, huh?" Sting grinned, "you're not exactly a low-class lady, Yuyu, and I figured that, with how protective your guildmates are over you, your expectations wouldn't be low either. And, you know me, I live to please."

She chuckled, "I really think you've outdone yourself this time, Sting. I'm impressed."
"That's good to hear!" the blond replied.

"Pretty lights..." Lector said, awed. He and Rue were still linked together by their little red paws.

"Shall we?" Sting raised his brow and Fuyumi nodded, a little giggle escaping her throat. A waiter promptly seated them at a table. The Ice Dragon Slayer glanced over her shoulder to see Rue and Lector also seated at a table. At that, she couldn't help but laugh.

"See? See?" Sting grinned widely, "this— this has gotta make up for my years of mistakes."
She fell silent for a few heartbeats before nodding slowly, "I suppose so... I never thought I would speak to you again. So much has changed over the course of... well, only these past few days."
"Yeah," he agreed, "I'm glad I can be with you — for real this time. And I'm never letting you go again."

🎉 You've finished reading 𝙉𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏 𝙎𝙃𝙄𝙁𝙏 // 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙭 𝙤𝙘 🎉