A City of Lies

The silence was deafening.

After Isaaik offered to show them around Herongrand, no more words were spoken until the group reached the library.

Benard spoke up first. "Lord Commander, Alyss and Morgyn were hoping you might allow them access to the great library."

"Oh, for what reason?" Isaaik asked.

"As these two are from Kahth, there are many things they lack understanding of in regard to the empire and its lands." Benard replied. "Geography, culture, laws – there is much that they are unaware of – much that is necessary for life in the empire."

"Very well," Isaaik nodded. "I'll give Alyss and Morgyn each the same pass I give to students at the college. Remind me again once we get back to the inner chambers and I'll have someone fetch them for you."

"Thank you, my lord."

"Just like that?" Ash furrowed her brow. "Lord Commander, are these two trustworthy enough to be left alone inside the expansive archives of Herongrand? Why would you grant them such a privilege?" Her tone was cold and ruthless. The visage of the previous night was gone. "And why does a disowned son of the Raskells seem to be babysitting these outsiders?" She glared at Benard.

Alyss clenched her fist. "What?" Why the hell is she acting like this all of a sudden?

"Don't you think you're going too far?" Morgyn furrowed his brow.

"It's the truth." Ash asserted.

"These two were of great help to one of my most trusted subordinates." Isaaik remained calm. "Showing exception to those who have done me a service is only natural."

"Perhaps." A slight grin began to form on Ashreya's face. "But one might question the loyalty of a commander who shows exception towards their subordinate before meeting even the most basic expectation of their ruler."

"Are you questioning my loyalty to Meliades?" Isaaik stopped and turned to face her.

"First you fail to account for this city's due taxes to the crown. Then you allow outsiders into the halls of the greatest library in the empire." Ash stepped forward. "You have been given almost a year of leeway, but the war is over now, and His Majesty's patience has worn thin. What greater reasons do I need to question your loyalty, Lord Commander?"

"Is it the taxes that causes you to insult the guests who have served me well?" Isaaik teased.

"Answer for the accusations, Lord Commander." Ashreya growled. "I have grown weary of this dance, and I cannot subdue His Majesty's frustration with delays and promises."

"Will you lose your head if you return empty handed?" Isaaik scowled.

"If I do, then yours will surely follow." Ash said solemnly.

Isaaik sighed. "I do not have the money, Lady Mantin. The taxes I have collected are still being redirected into our infrastructure. I lost thousands of men in the war, and our roads are mostly unguarded because of it. Hordes of ghouls have been sighted near villages. Murders, banditry, kidnapping. . . my people – the emperor's people have grown weary as well, and they don't have the comfort of guarded manors to return to."

Kidnapping? Could he have heard about Ina's kidnapping, then? Alyss took a deep breath. Maybe it really was right to come here.

"Do not pretend like you care for the people's plight," Ashreya scoffed. "Whatever lies and excuses you give are meaningless."

"Ash." Morgyn intervened. "He isn't lying. We actually ran into a horde of ghouls outside of Riverlet. We barely escaped with our lives."

Ash looked at Morgyn with surprise. Her expression softened.