A night in the Island Palace

A handful of soldiers were called to escort the prisoners back to their cells below the city. Alyss, Morgyn, and Benard followed Isaaik back to the island palace with several Talonguards in tow. Alyss peered over the edge of the bridge as they crossed the moat.

"You're really going to fall in if you keep doing that." Benard sighed and shook his head.

"This is certainly not the best place to do that." Isaaik pointed toward the banks below the palace's outer walls. A dozen crocodiles each no smaller than ten feet in length rested in the sand beside the turquoise water. "This moat is full of them. Every once in a while, someone will fall in. It isn't worth risking a soldier's life to go collect the remains, so we usually just leave them."

Alyss gave him a disgusted glare.

"I. . . think that was a joke." Benard muttered.

Isaaik chuckled.

The courtyard past the outer walls was filled with exotic flowers and twisting stone walkways. A white gazebo stood beside a stone fountain where several men and women rested and talked.

"Are these all your family, Isaaik?" Morgyn asked.

The Talonguards clenched their spears and tensed up.

"Lord Commander, Isaaik." Benard corrected without skipping a beat.

"Ah, my apologies."

"Think nothing of it. . . Morgyn, correct?" Isaaik shrugged. "You can skip the titles while we're in the palace – most people do. But make sure you use it out in the city. As for your question: no these aren't my family. I don't have one. The people you see here all work in the palace. There are the servants, the guards, and the folks who help me run this city."

"You don't have a family?" Alyss relaxed her expression as her gaze was lured in by the vibrant colors.

"Well, I had a brother once." Isaaik chuckled.

The group stayed silent as the giant door to the main hall opened up. Many more people worked throughout the inside the of the palace. Until they reached the inner chambers, there wasn't a single empty room in the building.

"Do all of these people live here?" Morgyn asked.

"No." Isaaik stiffly replied. "Only the servants do, and me, of course." After climbing three flights of stairs, he waved away the Talonguard and led the three companions through the hallway. "Pick whichever rooms you'd like. These are all empty except the one at the end of the hall." Isaaik gestured to the rows of doors lining the corridor."

"Is that your room?" Morgyn asked.

"Of course not." Isaaik laughed. "That room is for my other actual guest. She's an annoyance, but she'll only be here for a few more days. I sleep in the royal chambers on the top floor."

At the end of the hallway was another flight of stairs. Isaaik stopped at the base and turned around. "Find a room. Get comfortable. Wind down – do whatever you need to do, but don't climb these stairs until I tell you to, all right?"

"Thank you for your hospitality, Lord Commander." Benard lowered his head slightly.

"Mmm." Isaaik nodded and limped up the stairs. "Get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Don't tell me that inquisitor asshole is here, too?" Alyss growled as she glared at the door beside the staircase leading to the top floor.

"I don't think so," Morgyn assured. "Isaaik was clearly quite hostile towards him. I doubt he would allow this Vincent person into his home."