To Do Battle With Monsters

"Please take a seat." Isaaik gestured toward the chairs sitting across from his desk.

Alyss and Morgyn sat down.

"So, you two can kills ghouls – is that right?" Isaaik clasped his hands together and leaned forward.

"It's certainly not easy, but yes, we can." Morgyn replied.

"That's most impressive." Isaaik nodded. "Not a feat just anyone can accomplish – not on their own at least."

"I wouldn't say we were alone." Morgyn narrowed his eyes. "Benard and Rendhal had already severely weakened the one in Yellowood. I only dealt the final blow." Rendhal must have told him about what happened in the forest, but I still don't know how much he said. And how did he find about the ghoul Alyss killed?

"I wasn't alone in my fight either. I would have died if it weren't for Benard's help." Alyss added.

"Ah, the Raskell is the common thread, then?" Isaaik chuckled. "Legendary dragoons, but not a family particularly known for their swordplay." He straightened his back and shrugged. "Let me tell you what I think: I don't know what hole you two crawled out of, but you aren't from Kahth. And I think with whatever help you may or may not have had, it was ultimately your power or skill that felled those monsters."

Alyss and Morgyn tensed up.

"That's quite the accusation, Lord Commander." Morgyn furrowed his brow. "With all due respect, I believe your suspicion is in error. Alyss and I are indeed from the Fjord of Kahth, but our village was isolated from the larger cities. Whatever assumptions you may have about people of Kahth, shouldn't be applied to any and all – like you, we are individuals with individual experiences. And I think you may be overestimating us. Good luck and coincidences may arouse suspicion, but it isn't all that unlikely. I would like to add that regardless of your perception of him, Benard is a talented swordsman. The fact of the matter is, we wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for him and Rendhal."

"Fair points – all of them. But let me ask you this – how did you manage to get here safely from Kahth?" Isaaik studied Morgyn and Alyss's faces.

"We just rode on the back of a-" Alyss's eyes widened after she spoke, then stopped herself.

Damn it, this is what he was hoping for. Morgyn tried to speak up, but he was cut off.

"Wyverns hate the cold, miss." Isaaik smirked. "You could travel all over Kahth, and you won't find a single one."

Alyss opened her mouth, but before she spoke, she bit her lip and averted her gaze.

I guess that's why Benard used this cover story with Cris back then. Morgyn let out a deep breath. I didn't think our story would be beaten that easily, but we still have the advantage of knowing he wants something from us, so we can't give up yet. Morgyn grabbed Alyss's hand and looked her in the eyes.

Alyss regained her composure, and the two reapers looked back at Isaaik, prepared to counterattack.

Isaaik sighed and held up his hands. "Look, I'm not trying to make any more enemies. But your story falls apart the moment that rogue officer leaves your side." Isaaik stood up and placed his hands firmly on the desk. "I'll be frank. I couldn't care less who you are, what you are, or where you come from. But. . . I need you."

Morgyn's mouth hung open.

"And you need me." Isaaik continued with a smirk.

"And why, exactly, do we need you?" Alyss growled. Her fists clenched, and her face tensed up.