The Dragon and the Hare

The scores of civilians each going about their lives paid the group no mind as Ashreya led the reapers through the bustling streets. Men sat at wooden tables outside of stone taverns whistling and flirting with the prostitutes advertising their services on the opposite side of the road. Most buildings were locked and empty, but lines of the drunk and the merry crowded the few which brightened up the street. A clashing tang of perfume and beer assaulted their noses while the chattering crowds grew louder as they tried to hear each other over the promiscuous sounds escaping the brothels' thin walls.

Alyss didn't hold back her grin as her eyes darted to each side of the street while the group passed each energetic establishment. Morgyn failed to hide his growing curiosity as the movement of his gaze reflected his other half's. After slowly squeezing past the crowds for almost an hour, the streets ahead began to clear up.

When the buildings lining the street ahead were all closed, Ashreya sighed a breath of relief. "I am always filled with anxiety when forced to trudge through the Afterglow this late into the night."

"Has anything ever. . . happened?" Morgyn hesitated.

"Thankfully, no." Ash's shoulders dropped slightly. "Unfortunately, that fact never seems to put my mind at ease."

"You needn't worry yourself, my lady," Horus assured. "The lessers would never attempt such a thing while a dragoon is in accompaniment."

"In any case," Ashreya said. "You can rest assured that your lodgings will be in a much less dangerous part of the city."

After another thirty minutes of walking, the narrow brick road converged with several others into one spanning fifty feet wide, and parked on the roadside opposite from the group was a mile long row of horse-drawn carriages.

"Wonderful," Ash exclaimed. "I was beginning to think we'd be walking all night." She took a deep breath and leaned back on the velvet seat's cushioned headrest as the group climbed into the carriage. "Take us to the Guarida De Leon," she said to the coachman.

Without a word, the whips cracked, and the carriage began moving.

With her mouth agape and her eyebrows raised, Alyss peered out from the window seat and watched the city roll by. Morgyn sat in the middle and modestly looked through the openings Alyss wasn't blocking with her head.

"Is this your first time seeing a horse-drawn carriage?" Ash asked with a gentle smile.

"No, but we've never been in one before," Alyss replied.

"It is certainly a new experience," Morgyn added. "But it pales in comparison to the flight on the Scalewind."

Alyss nodded and sat back down.

"I had forgotten you flew to Herongrand," Ash chuckled. "I've never actually been on a wyvern ship. I'll have to see it for myself one day when I have the time."

"By the way, Ash, why were all the carriages just sitting out in the dark?" Morgyn asked.

"Ah, forgive me. As you two are from Kahth, I imagine such a sight would be rather strange." Ash sighed. "The Afterglow sees scores of noblemen every night. These carriages are prepared for their inevitable drunken return."

Alyss shifted her gaze back toward the window. Then, is that street crowded like that every night? We definitely have to visit it sometime!

"I'll make sure to have a carriage prepared for you in the morning. I have some reports to make, but I should be able to meet back up with you at the harbor by noon," Ash spoke up, ignoring the creepy grin forming on Alyss's face.