Dead Calm

Ashreya woke in the early morning to a light knock on her door. She rubbed her eyes and staggered out of the disheveled bed. She hesitated as her hand met the cold door handle. The fingers of her free hand ran along the cuts and bruises that stained her face as her eyes shifted downward. She took a deep breath and tightened her grip around the handle. She cracked the door open as another knock sounded through it.

"Ah, did we wake you?" Morgyn smiled at her. "I'm sorry if we're disturbing you, but we'd like to ask you some questions about the goings on in the city right now." His voice lowered to reflect his serious tone.

Ash looked away and slightly pushed the door without shutting it entirely. She couldn't make any words out.

"Is now a bad time?" Morgyn frowned.

Another pause.

"I'm sor-"

The door creaked open. "It's all right." Ash muttered. She turned around and stumbled back to the bed without turning around.

"We're coming in!" Alyss beamed as she pushed Morgyn into the room and closed the door behind them.

"Thank you, Ash. I know we seemed to leave off on bad terms last time we spoke." Morgyn followed her back to the bed while keeping a comfortable distance.

Ash took a deep breath and whispered, "What am I even doing?" She turned slowly to face them.

Alyss shook her fist in frustration, and Morgyn furrowed his brow.

"It was just some thugs." Ash sighed. "Why are you two getting angry for someone like me?" She shook her head slightly and sat down on the bed. "Take a seat anywhere and ask what you want."

Morgyn held his tongue and gently pulled a chair to sit in front of her. "Thank you, Ash."

Alyss sat down right beside Ash without regard to her personal space, but the advisor didn't seem to protest.

"How much do you know about Isaaik?" Morgyn's expression matched the seriousness of his voice.

"The Lord Commander?" Ash crossed her legs and placed her hands in her lap. "I know about as much as anyone else in my position."

"This may sound like an odd request, but we know next to nothing, and we'd like to get a better understanding of what's causing all of this chaos in the city."

"What's causing this chaos is his lust for power, but fine," Ash sighed. "I'll humor you."

"Thank you." Morgyn gave her a sincere smile.

"Some forty years ago, Isaaik was born in a village at the base of the Redsire mountains just north of Autumnrock. A raging blizzard had swept over the land for a week and did not end until it had taken his weakened mother's life. After the storm subsided, his father visited the local taverns every night, to the point where most of the owners had to bar him from future entry. He died a few years later under mysterious circumstances. At an especially young age, Isaaik was left orphaned, and it was the Church of the Ruby Sun that took him in and raised him until his teenage years. Our previous Saintess took a liking to him when she visited and invited him back to the Catedral de las Lunas. For some reason, he accepted her invitation, and for some reason, he stayed – never went back to Autumnrock."

"For some reason?" Alyss raised an eyebrow.

Ash shook her head. "Imperial intelligence has never been able to decipher what his motivation could be."

"So, what happened once he reached Meliades?" Morgyn asked.

"Isaaik served and trained under the church for five more years until the disease of age took our previous Saintess's life. A bloody election that lasted for two years ensued in the church, and our current Saintess, Rosalia – may the moons bless her name – rose the victor. Isaaik's part in the election is unknown, though it is suspected he assisted the Saintess in her ascension."