To a Dreadful Journey

Alyss stared at the creature and yawned. After a few seconds, she picked it up and cradled it in her arms.

"Wait!" the rabbit exclaimed as Alyss tried to fall back asleep.

"So fluffy~" Alyss grinned as she stroked the creature's ears.

"I implore you to listen to me," the rabbit insisted.

"Bunnies aren't supposed to speak," Alyss muttered. "What are you going to do if someone hears you?"

"You needn't concern yourself with that. Nobody else can hear me for I am not speaking," the White Hare explained. "In fact, it is paramount that you stop speaking, lest you be confused for one who attempts verbal communication with animals."

Alyss opened her eyes again and examined the White Hare carefully. It was large for a rabbit, but not exceptionally so. Its medium-length fur was white as snow and properly slicked back. The voice resonating with her mind was somewhat feminine, somewhat masculine, yet entirely foreign to both, like an imitation of human sound. Alyss lifted the rabbit off her chest and studied it further. This isn't a bunny at all. It looks like one at first glance—a picture perfect White Hare. But. . . Alyss sat up from the bed and cradled the rabbit to her chest, stroking its fur. "Aren't you just the cutest thing!"

"Alyss?" Morgyn rubbed his eyes. "Is something the matter?"

"How did that get in here?" Ashreya exclaimed. She shot up to a sitting position and backed away from the rabbit.

"I don't know. I just woke up and it was there, but come pet it, the fur is so soft." Alyss couldn't hold back a blissful grin as she began stroking the creature's ears.

Ash's brow furrowed as she examined the small creature hesitantly.

With a light thump, the rabbit kicked off Alyss's chest and landed at the foot of the bed. It shook its head and patted down its ruffled fur.

"I don't think it liked that very much," Morgyn chuckled.

"We will speak later," said the hare.

"I think it wants to come with us," Alyss gave the rabbit a playful smirk.

"Speaking of which. . . Ashreya," Morgyn fidgeted and averted his gaze. "Have you made a decision yet?"

Ash took a deep breath and straightened her back. "I have," she said after a moment's pause. "I'm going back to Meliades."

"What?!" Alyss jumped out of bed. "Why would you do that?"

"Please listen to me, Alyss," Ash put on a weak smile.

"I don't understand either, Ash." Morgyn sighed.

"It isn't where I want to go." Ash said with a hint of resolve.

Alyss and Morgyn remained silent.

"You two were right. That isn't where I belong." Ash's voice wavered. "It took me far too long to realize that, but I realize it now. . . thanks to you."

"Then, why, Ash?" Alyss winced.

"Closure," Ash spoke in a pained voice. "I just need to see and speak with them one final time. Also, Sir Horus would never let me just run away with you two. And you need his wyvern, right?"

The two reapers couldn't think of a response.

She's right. . . Alyss grit her teeth and looked away. If we don't have that wyvern, how many people would die? But is this the right choice?

"I don't know what it is you two are fighting for. I don't know what you want, or any thing at all about you for that matter." Ash put on a brave face and laughed under her breath. "But when you're finished with your most pressing concerns. . . come get me, okay?" She wiped away the tears emerging from her eyes. "Don't forget about me, please."