A Glimpse of Dread

The companions landed at the base of a small lake as the sun rose into the sky. Ash and Horus had settled down inside their tents when Benard approached the reapers with a conflicted expression.

"You want to fight me?" Alyss raised an eyebrow.

"We'd just be sparring, so. . ." Benard's voice trailed off. The creases in his forehead deepened as he struggled to look her in the eyes while making the request. "I know it's a strange thing to ask, but I saw how you killed that ghoul before and wanted to know how I measure up to you." His voice trailed off again as he finished speaking.

"Benard, I don't want this to sound arrogant or anything, but you shouldn't compare yourself to me. I'm not human after all." Alyss shrugged.

Benard glanced around the camp to make sure no one was listening. "That isn't really it." He took a deep breath and steadied himself. "The Dread Sea is a dangerous place, and your fight with the dreadknights will likely be even more so. As I am now, I'll only get in your way, and I'm not so foolish as to believe a new sword will make the difference."

"Hmm." Alyss thought about it for a minute.

"I'm not against it," Morgyn said. "It would be reassuring if I knew Alyss had someone reliable beside her when she gets herself into danger." Since I only seem to hold her back, if at least Benard can help her out. . .

Alyss sighed and held out her hand. "Can I see your sword for a second?"

"Of course." Benard unsheathed the dread metal blade and set it in her hand.

"Huh?" Alyss examined the sword. "So, this is Deathwarden, eh?"

She isn't going to- Morgyn reached forward. "Alyss, wait!"

Without hesitation, Alyss pressed the blade against her forearm and pulled the blade downward. Benard's eyes widened as the expected sound of slicing flesh was replaced with a screeching clang like steel grinding against steel.

Morgyn grabbed Alyss's arm. "Why do you. . ." A helpless pain narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips.

Alyss lifted her arm and showed it to them both with a smile. "See? It didn't hurt at all."

Benard was left with his mouth agape, while Morgyn grit his teeth in silence.

"I'm just making sure the blade won't hurt me—that's all," Alyss said.

Her lighthearted demeanor only enhanced Morgyn's worry.

"Putting aside how crazy you would have to be to slice your own arm with a dread metal sword-" Benard pinched his brow. "This is a bit disheartening, but exactly what I was talking about."

"Did you want me to use my fists?" Alyss chuckled.

"About that—I had been meaning to give something to you." Benard gestured for her to follow.

Morgyn turned away while Benard led Alyss to his tent.

Benard knelt inside his tent and opened the thick hide pack tucked away out of sight. The curved, white blade glittered in the light peering into the tent as Benard pulled the weapon out of the pack. Dots of writhing gold lined the reinforced wooden handle. Benard inspected it for a moment, then held it out in front of him. "Isaaik's war pick—it no longer has the blessing of the saintess, but it's still in good condition."

Alyss took the weapon and examined it. "You want me to spar with this?"

"I want you to fight with it." Benard took to his feet and stepped out of the tent. "You're strong. I was able to witness that firsthand, but you'll need a weapon to capitalize off that strength."