Ep 12:Final tales of Ishikawa and Norio/The Undying Flame/A gathering storm

Yu returned to Jogaku where he saw his samurai train, Ryuzo practicing by himself, and others working together. He decided to help his allies with their problems before making his final battle with the Kahn. He talks to Sensei Ishikawa who is still hunting Tomoe.

Ishikawa: Narukami. We need to talk.

Yu:Yes, Sensei?

Ishikawa:When I was your age... People said I was the best Tadayori Nagao.

Yu: You're the best archer we've ever had.

Ishikawa:(Dismissive growl)Not even close. But I'm damn good.

Yu:And I'm grateful for everything you taught me.

Ishikawa:I was so dedicated to my study... I never made time for a family. Tomoe... Was to be my heir. Her crimes... I could not forgive her.

Yu:No samurai would.

Ishikawa: I devoted my life to the bow. The life it gave me was remarkable. But the life... It took from me. Family is more important.

Yu: Sensei?

Ishikawa: Don't become like me. Don't let the Ghost consume you.

He stands up.

Ishikawa:(Sighs)Tomei is somewhere in Kamiagata. A last ditch effort to rally the Mongols... And restore her reputation.

Yu: If she's here... We will find her.

Ishikawa:And end this. Yes, we will.

Yu rides off to the eastern land of Jogaku and while doing so, he spotted a burned and damaged mongol convoy.

Yu: What's that over there? A mongol convoy destroyed...

He investigated the area.

Yu:All shot in the back. Probably ambushed... Burned the cart. Flaming arrows...? Japanese arrows. Lord Shimura's men...? Japanese archers did this. Likely a group. Unless Sensei Ishikawa has been here.

Suddenly, he hears footsteps and turns around and sees a woman.

??: Please excuse me, my lord.

Yu: It's a bad idea to sneak up on me.

??: I thought you were with the man who killed these Mongols. He was samurai. But older. An archer.

Yu: Sensei Ishikawa. Where is he?

??:He said he'd come back to my house in a day or two.

Yu:Why your house?

??:I have food, a fire. Whatever his business was, it seemed urgent.

Yu: Hmm. It's possible he picked up Tomoe's trail. Where's your house?

??:Not far. But there's a storm coming, and I need to check my snares first. Then I can take you there.

Yu:Fine. I'll go with you... What's your name?

??:Matsu, my lord.

Friends in passing: Mission start.

Yu and Matsu start walking together.

Yu:What exactly did Sensei Ishikawa tell you?

Matsu: Nothing more, my lord. He wasn't the friendliest man.

Yu:Sounds about right.

Matsu:I never talked to a real samurai.

Yu:War brings unlikely people together.

Matsu: It's also a chance to ask you a really good question.

Yu: Don't mess it up.

Matsu: What's it like to hold the power of life and death in your hands?