Chapter 3

PRE-SEASON TESTING

Following her move to McLaren and the press conference which included the car reveal and the reveal of the fireproofs for the 2023 season, Jessica and Lando were in Barcelona along with their mechanics and engineers for pre-season testing.

Each team were in the paddock, awaiting their time to go out and test their cars. "Jess. Looking good in papaya." a voice says behind her. Jessica turns around and smiles when she sees Pierre running up to her. "The pink and blue is a good combination for you too." Jess smiles at Pierre as they walk side by side through the paddock. "How are you feelimg about this season? You know...new team, new car etc." Pierre asks. "I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I mean I have Lando as my teammate so I should be a little more comfortable but it won't be the same as having you." Jess softly smiles.

"You'll be fine. You're one of the most resilient people I know. I get that I'm irreplaceable but remember, you'll quickly adjust to having Lando as your teammate. Like I'll quickly adjust to having Esteban." Pierre places a reassuring hand on Jessica's should. "You're right. How about once all the testing is done, we grab some of the others and go for a night out?" Jess suggests and Pierre's eyes light up at the idea. "Now that, I like the sound of." Pierre laughs. The pair continue to talk until they get to the Alpine garage. "Okay. I'll see you on track." Pierre smiles, hugging Jess. "Yeah. When I've lapped you twice." Jessica laughs before pulling from the hug and walking off towards the McLaren motorhome.

"Now then, Jess. Welcome to the team." Lando smiles, hugging Jess. "Thanks Lan. Hopefully we score some big points this year." Jessica smiles, pulling from the hug. "We will. Come on, we better get ready for testing." Lando says. The new teammates head out the motorhome and down to the garages, picking up their paddock passes on the way out. "New year, same shit but new surroundings." Jess laughs, scanning her pass.

"Yeah." Lando smiles. "Oh look. It's the wankers, Netflix. Nothing's changed here." Jessica laughs when she spots the Netfix crew recording her and Lando ahead of the production of the new season of 'Drive To Survive'. Lando laughs as their PR managers, Lucinda Brown and Nicola Browns, jog up to them. "Jess, welcome to McLaren." Nicola smiles, walking beside Jessica. "Thank you." Jessica smiles.

After being ran through the media duties for that week, the two McLaren drivers walked into the garage to change into their fireproofs. "Jessica." the brunette hears. She turns around and sees her engineer, Alexander 'Alex' Hardwick, along with Zak Brown approaching her. "Smash it today. Let us see how much you can push the car." Zak smiles before heading to the pit wall. "Remember what I told you last night. Save the tires, max power. We need the points this season and I know you want that championship." Alex smiles.

Alex Hardwick has been Jess' engineer since her formula 3 days but joined McLaren in 2016. He understands Jessica's method of driving and her desire to win. "We'll start with seeing the power the car has and how you can manage the tires. We'll treat this like a qualifying session. Push, outlap, push, outlap." Alex explains as Jessica finishes getting ready. "Got it, Alex. Don't worry." Jessica smiles before putting her earphones for her radio in, putting her ballyclava on along with her helmet. Jessica climbs into the car as her one of mechanics gets the others to remove the covers off the tires and she drives out.

"Okay, Jess. When we get to the end of the pitlane, wait 10 seconds and we'll do a pitlane start." Alex says. "Copy." Jess replies as she gets to the end of the pitlane. She waits 10 seconds before driving onto the track. "Right, Jessica. Radio check." Alex says. "Yep. Let me drive." Jessica laughs before doing a push lap in her car. Lando watches from the pitwall ready for when she passes.

"How are the tires Jess?" Alex asks. "They're good. I'm managing. Thank you for the worry." Jessica says and Alex chuckles. "Always had a sense of humour, haven't you?" Alex shakes his head. "What can I say? I'm the new danny ric here." Jessica laughs. As she passes Lando, he watches at how quick she flies past. "Okay, Jess. Cool down. Mega test. We might be able to challenge redbull this year." Alex says. "Nice. It felt fast. Did it look fast?" Jess asks. "According to Lando, it did. Lovely job. I don't think you need another run so come back in." Alex says. "Copy that. Make sure there's some water on standby. I need a drink to cool down." Jessica responds.

The british girl drivers back into the pitlane and pulls up outside her garage where she is wheeled back in. An echo of "good jobs" and "nice work" waved through as Jess headed to the side to take her helmet and ballyclava off and take out her earphones. Jessica smiled before going to change out of her fireproofs and goes to watch Lando. "You were quick." a familiar frenchtone voice speaks beside Jess. "It felt quick. Maybe I can challenge redbull and stop Max from getting number 3." Jessica laughs, turning to Pierre.

"Hopefully we can all challenge him." Pierre laughs as Jessica nods. "Definitely. I want that championship this year. We both know how much it would mean not only to the winner but the other if one of us won." Jessica smiles.

Testing continued and while Lando was out on track for a while longer than Jess, she went off to fully explore her new drivers room. As she approached the door, she saw her name on the door in the exact same place where Lando has his in the room opposite. Walking in, the first thing Jessica immediately spots is her initials and driver number "JM15" in payaya coloured lettering down the side of her mirror. Her fireproofs and uniform washed and neatly folded in a mini closet on the side with her shoes on the bottom.

"Jess? Are you decent?" Nicola asks, knocking on the shut door. "Yeah. Come in, Nic." Jessica responds as the door opens. "Amazing work today. Looks like you might be able to challenge Max and Redbull." Nicola smiles, sitting in a chair. "Yeah. I'm excited for this upcoming season." Jess smiles.

The two talk somemore before Nicola leaves the room and Jess changes to get ready to head back to the hotel for a relaxing night.

A/N: Carlos got pole at Ferrari's home race and Charles was P3. That's brillaint from ferrari! As for my team, McLaren, P7 and P9 is good, hopefully a good race today and score some points before the week's break. Good qualifying for Logan, P6 in Q1 but was knocked out in Q2. We know he needs to prove himself this weekend to secure a seat for next year and I feel as if he is doing that this weekend. Liam did good as well to secure P12 just behind Yuki. This is my take on qualifying which I missed due to another sporting commitment and no commentary on the session

In the world of football, another shit result and proper shocking game. No gel at all in the team, ball given away all the time to the opposition. I couldn't make it to full time otherwise I probably would have burst out crying of not only sadness but fustration and disappointment.