Chapter 37

END OF THE SEASON

The last race of the season arrived and Jessica had been dominating the secomd half of the season. The championship winner however had not been confirmed yet. "Nervous? You could be the new world champion after this." Pierre says, catching up to Jessica as she walks through the paddock toward the McLaren motorhome. "More nervous than anything in my life. I mean even if I come second, third, fourth, anywhere. I'm still the champion, right?" Jessica turns to the tall frenchman.

"Don't doubt yourself, Jess. Even if Max wins and gets the fastest lap, the gap is too big for him to win it. The championship is pretty much in your hands." Pierre smiles as Jessica takes a deep breath and nods. "You're right. Just have to focus." Jessica laughs and Pierre does. "That's it. Don't let anything distract you." the brunette alpine driver smiles as he pulls the girl into a hug. The tension in her shoulders immediately disappears as she melts into the hug. "I'll see you on track, okay?" Pierre says, looking down at Jessica and into her eyes. "Yeah. See you then." Jess smiles, kissing Pierre's cheek.

He watches her walk inside, smiling to himself because he knew that after the race during the final party of the season, he was going to finally tell Jess how he feels about her aswell as ask her to be his girlfriend. There was no denying that he couldn't hide his feelings for her anyway. When Pierre realized how he felt towards Jessica, he knew he had to do something about them and the final after race party of the season was the perfect placw.

The girl walks into the motorhome and is immediately greeted by Lando. "Last race on the 2023 season." he sighs as neither him nor Jess know her future with the team or within the sport yet. "Yeah. No sad faces. I know we're not sure about my future yet but who knows what will happen after today. I might still be your teammate, I might not, I might still have some involvement on the grid or I might be off it completely. Lets make this weekend the best yet." Jessica smiles, shrugging her shoulders. "Yeah. Guess we'll have to wait for the season to be over and Winter break to be here." Lando sighs. "Yeah. Now, lets enjoy this weekend." Jessica smiles.

The two head into the pre-race team debrief which normally takes about half an hour but instead took 45 minutes. "Oh and before we go, Jess can I speak to you after the race?" Zak asks the girl and she nods. "Okay. Lets end this season on a high." Zak concludes and the team begin to leave the room while Jess stays back.

THE RACE

"Okay. And box this lap for hards." Alex says. He and the whole of Jessica's team knows what's at stake this weekend but even if she lost, the championship is hers. "Copy that." Jessica responds as she drives around the track and dives into the pitlane. Her tires were quickly changed and she makes her way back out on the track. "Okay. Verstappen is in P2. He's 5.8 behind. Bring it home Jessica." Alex says. The girl pushes her car as much as she can.

The whole McLaren team runs over to the fence as Jessica comes down the home/finish straight. "Jessica McCabe! You did it! You're the world champion!" Zak shouts as Jessica cheers while doing her cool down lap. "I can't believe it! Thank you all so so much. This is for the team here and the team back at the factory for creating a super car! We did it!" Jessica cheers, tears brimming in her eyes. "Enjoy this, Jess. You deserve it!" Alex's voice files through.

The tears fall down Jessica's cheeks as the fireworks begin going off in the sky. As she pulls into the parc fermé, Max and George pull up either side of her. Loud cheers echoed as she stood victorious on the top of her car. Jess immediately runs over to her team and they engulf her in a huge hug. As she pulls away, Lando immediately runs over to her.