Chapter 7

SATURDAY QUALIFYING

Following the eventful first three free practices of the season, the drivers of all 10 teams were now preparing for qualifying. "Okay Jess. Remember, don't overthink this. Give it our all and please try to survive to Q2." Alex laughs as Jessica puts her ballyclava on. "Don't worry, Alex. I've got this." Jess gives a reassuring nod before putting her helmet on. The brunette girl climbs into her car as her neck brace is put in along with her steering wheel while she's handed her gloves.

"Okay Jess, radio check." Alex says once he was sat in the pitlane box. "Yes. Loud and clear." Jess responds as she waits to he released from the garage. The brown-eyed girl puts her visor down. "And it's go time. Go rock this joint Jess." Alex says as Jess is signalled to leave her garage. "I'm planning on that." Jess chuckles before gently putting her foot down once she's left the pit lane. "Remember, outlap first then a fast lap. Don't want to wear the tires too early." Alex says in Jess' radio. "Copy." Jes answers.

The brunette brit starts slow with an outlap as some of her fellow drivers immediately do a push lap. The moment she reaches the start/finish line, Jessica starts her push lap. "Good pace Jess. Keep this up, you'll beat Max in sector one." Alex says. "Okay. Can you like please keep quiet while I drive and inform me when I crossed the line?" Jess suggests as Alex agrees.

As she approaches the line, Jess sets an impressive time of 1:02.522 putting her on pole for now. "Great driver Jess. That's a time of 1:02.522 putting you on P1 at the moment." Alex says. "Lets go." Jess smiles. The first qualifying session continues and both Lando and Jessica makes it through to the second session. "Great job Jess. P2, we're through to Q2." Alex says as Jess drives back to her garage. "Lovely job everyone. Lets smash Q2." Jess responds as she pulls infront of her garage and her mechanics wheel her back in.

Jess jumps out of her car and feels the need to use the toilet while her team changes her tires. She immediately runs to the back of the garage and straight to the toilets. As soon as she was finished and cleaned up, Jess heads to straight back to her car and gets back in. "Try pushing to get through to Q3. We need to start this season off right." Alex says. "Yeah. I'm winning that championship, A." Jess smiles as she waits. "Alex, who got knocked out in Q1?" Jess asks, interested. "Sargent, De Vries, Tsunoda, Bottas and Ocon." Alex says. "Okay." Jess says, feeing relief that Pierre was still in. Eventhough they were driving against each other, they both still cared about where the other came during qualifying and the race.

"Q2 in 5 minutes." Alex says as Jess nods. "Okay." she breathes. As soon as Q2 was about the start, Jess and Lando were the first two out. "Okay. Push lap immediately Jess. Lando's doing an outlap so we need to get the time on the board early doors." Alex says as Jessica waits for the green light. The remaining 15 drivers all start to head onto the Bahrain track. A few start an immediate push lap while others do an outlap.

"Good time Jess. Purple sectors 1 and 2. We're making good time here." Alex says. Jess doesn't respond as she's too focused on driving. The second qualifying session soon comes to an end, Jess being able to do 4 push laps. "Jess, don't get too excited but that was P1. Absolutely smashed that." Alex says as Jess grins widely. "Who was out?" Jess asks. "Zhou, Lando, Gasly, Hamilton and Leclerc." Alex responds. A little gut feeling told Jess that Pierre wasn't going to be happy about being knocked out in Q2. "Okay." Jess responds, a little sigh escaping her mouth after.

After the final qualifying session, Jessica was exhausted. "Super job, Jess. That's provisional pole." Alex cheers. "Yes boys! Whoo Hoo!" Jess cheers as relief leaves her body. "Smashed it today. Park infront of the P1 sign when your back. Verstappen and Perez will be joining you in P2 and P3." Alex says as Jess gets close to the pitlane and drives down, stopping her car infront of the first place sign. Her McLaren team were all waiting as she got out the car and immediately went over to them. The brown-eyed girl hugs a few of them before heading over to her stand and taking her helmet and ballyclava off.