Chapter 32

BELGIAN GRAND PRIX WEEKEND, THURSDAY

The final race before the summer break arrived and it was the toughest race emotionally for both Jessica and Pierre. The pair arrive at the paddock together ahead of their media duties. "Are you nervous for this evening?" Pierre asks the girl who is feeling much better compared to the weekend before. "Definitely. I can't believe it's been 4 years and nothing has still been done. That's two young lives we've lost at this track. When will something be done?" Jessica asks, stopping in her track and turning to face Pierre. "I don't know Jess but hopefully in the next few years. We can't afford to lose anymore drivers here. Young or old." Pierre sadly smiles.

2019 was the toughest year for both of them. Pierre lost his seat at Redbull before the Belgium grand prix and there was speculation that Jess was going to replace him with how well she was performing at Toro Rosso but instead Alex Albon was given the seat. Then Anthoines death happened which impacted Jessica and Pierre massive emotionally. And each year since that fateful day, the pair always go to the corner of the track where they lost their friend that day.

"Listen, we'll get through this weekend. Remember, we've organized that memory run for both Anthoine and Dilano. It's going to be okay." Pierre reassures Jess as she nods. "Yeah. You're right. We better hurry and get inside our team motorhomes before this rain gets heavier." Jessica laughs as she and Pierre head towards the McLaren and Alpine motorhomes.

MEDIA PEN

"Jess, you weren't present for media last week. Can you explain why?" Natalia Pinkham asks. "Of course. So I had the flu and it impacted me really bad. I spent four days in bed in the hotel alone just sleeping. 2 of them i didn't eat and 1 of them I couldn't drink or eat. Friday to Sunday when I was in the car, it was a constant fight against my body as it wanted to give up. I managed to get another win and by the end of the race, my body was exhausted and I felt as if everything was going to give out." Jessica explains.

"Well, your a true inspiration to everyone to keep pushing no matter the illness." Natalie smiles as Jessica nods. "Thanks Nat." Jessica responds. "Now, we're here at Spa and we know it's tough for you coming back every year. How determined are you to make this year better than your others?" Natalie asks. "I love Spa. It's one of my favorite tracks and it always will be. But, I won't forget that day in 2019. So it is tough coming back but I want to make this year one I'll never forget." Jessica smiles softly, a little glimpse of sadness in her eyes.

The interview continues and as soon as it concluded, Jessica immediately goes to find Pierre. "Right, lets get this sorted so we can get my crying session out the way." Jessica laughs. "Yeah. I know it'll be hard Jess but Tonio would be so proud of how well you're doing this season at McLaren." Pierre says in a soft tone to Jessica as she nods. The two talk about the memory run which they organized for both Anthoine and Dilano.

THAT EVENING

Just as the memory run approached, the rain began intensifying. "Okay. Thank you everyone for coming. The turn out is incredible and we know Dilano and Anthoine would be so proud of the amount of support that they have today." Jessica speaks as the chatter dies down while she stands beside Pierre. "We know the weather isn't exactly ideal but we are still grateful for the turn out despite the rain and this weekend, we won't let it dampen our hopes of good results across all three boards." Pierre says.

Everyone gathered on track with Pierre, Jessica, Esteban, Jack, Victor Martins and Caio Collet who are two Alpine academy drivers stood at the front. The run began as the rain hammered down on the Spa-Francorchamps circuit.

As they approached the corner, Pierre and Jess walked over to the track wall in which Anthoine originally crashed into. Tears brim in Jessica's eyes as memories of that day come flooding back to her. The two crouch down as Juan Manuel Correa who was involved in the crash that day stands behind them. Pierre places the flowers down while Jess takes a note out of her pocket and places it on top as Pierre places an arm around her shoulder while the tears fall.

"We'll prove them wrong"

The day Pierre got dropped by redbull and Jess found out she never got the open seat, Anthoine send them both a message ending with "prove them wrong". That day since, the duo have kept doing that.

Jess and Pierre stand back up and the french driver, wraps his arms around Jessica's shoulders as she buries her face into his chest, her wraps tightly gripping around his waist. Pierre uses one of his hands and lifts Jess' chin and her tear eyes and stained cheeks meet his. "Listen to me, I know this is a tough weekend everytime we come. But, you're a strong person. I'm so proud of how far you've come despite all the heartbreak. And I know Tonio, Jules, your dad and brothers are too." Pierre sincerely smiles as Jess nods.

He uses her thumbs to wipe her tears before holding his hands on the side of her face as the rain bounced down around them, soaking not only the track and their clothes but their hair aswell before gently kissing Jessica's forehead. "Come on. Lets get this finished then we can get a decent nights sleep ahead for FP1 and qualifying tomorrow." Jess says as both her and Pierre head back onto the track to continue their run.

HOTEL

Showered and dry, Jessica sat on the edge of her bed in the hotel room she was staying in as the sound of the rain threw itself against the windows. Her phone was charging when she receives a message

••••••••••
iMessage
Lando

Lando
Are you awake?

Jessica
Why?

Lando
Wanna come join some of
us in the bar for drinks

Jessica
Lan, we're driving in FP1 and Quali
tomorrow
I don't think it's a good idea

Lando
Come on Jess

Jessica
Sorry Lan but I'm not doing that
until Sunday

Lando
It's okay Jess.
See you in the morning

Jessica
Night Lando