The Truth

.... Where is this? Am I... dead?

I squinted at my surroundings. It had this in-the-ocean sort of feel, everything hazy and slightly blurry. Am I in a dream? I roughly made out what looked like really tall pillars and paintings on the wall. A mansion? I tried to make my way through the corridor of paintings, but my body seemed to have a mind of its own. My entire vision suddenly shifted to the right and I could see my hand reaching out for the classy doorknob. Like everything else, it was placed high above my head, so my hand reached upwards for the knob. Before I could turned the knob, two voices echoed from behind the door.

"We need to talk, Hakuto."

"... What is it do you want to talk about?"

There was a pause before the first man continued.

"Those boxes in the warehouse... there's drugs in them isn't it? What's going on?"

"Nothing, they're just there for investment. What's the matter Yuusaku? You sound tense."

The second voice, Hakuto, sounded airy and carefree, but there was dark tone behind it. My hand which held the doorknob froze in place. Suddenly, there was a slam followed by the first one's outburst.

"Tomonaga Hakuto! Of all the people, you, the leader of the National Japanese Union Party, are involved in the black market business as well?!"

"... C'mon Yuusaku, had I not done that your safety would not have been ensured. There's a heck lot of people out there who wants you dead but thanks to my intervention you're still alive you know."

"I know that! I didn't become part of the police force without knowing the dangers first! Hakuto, protecting me is just an excuse for you to get a share of the profit from selling the drugs, isn't it?!"

Another slam resounded from behind the door. Hakuto's carefree voice had been dropped and replaced with a dangerous voice. I opened the door at the smallest gap as possible and I saw two people. One of them had his back faced towards me and the other one angrily waving around something white in a package. All it had was a label with serial numbers on it.

"So what if I was?"

Yuusaku's voice came out in disbelief.

"Hakuto, you..."

"I expected more from you, old friend. I thought you, above everything else, would stay by my side no matter what happens. Looks like my trust had been misplaced elsewhere."

"... The only one who I expected more from was you. To let your judgement be clouded over so easily by wealth and fortune, it's no wonder you never got to become the chief of the police department. You never understood what justice really meant anyway!"

Following Yuusaku's calm words came an uproar from Hakuto. Something could be heard crashing from behind the door. Hakuto only yelled out two words...

"YOU BASTARD!!!"

...And the smell of smoke drifted out from below the door. I found myself backing away slowly from the door, listening to the agonizing screams of one of the men. The door broke down from its hinges, revealing the man with the scar traveling along his cheekbone. His cold eyes fixated itself onto me.

"Well well if it isn't little Yuzu-chan... Didn't Daddy told you to stay in your room?"

With one fling of his hand, I was dragged into the flaming room and I fell hard onto the carpet. I could only see the man's face vaguely among the flames helplessly. His mouth curved upwards into an evil grin.

"You deserved it Yuusaku, for poking your head into my business. Now your daughter's going to die along with you."

He slammed the door shut, leaving me all alone in the room filled with flames. I looked behind to see the back of a chair and a hand dangling off it. I gave a shriek and ran towards the hand, holding it tightly with tears in my eyes.