16

Isabella lands in Hel, wobbling upon impact as the ground isn't the steadiest. She looks around, feeling the heat immediately. Being surprised by the scenery as she expected it to be filled with red. Instead it's just very dark and gloomy, the air feels heavy and humid. The heat is bearable but still uncomfortable.

The brunette begins to wander, not knowing what she's looking for. Following her feet as her body pulls her further into the wasteland. Her ears ring with the agonizing cries of lost and battered souls. Beings of all kinds, damned for eternity to be tortured. Quite frankly, it doesn't faze her as much as it probably should at this point.

The farther she goes, the more she feels the energy weigh on her. There's so much darkness present, begging her to let it in. She continues, eventually meeting the mouth of a dark cave. Voices seem to whisper to her, drawing her into the dark abyss. Something she can't see drips in the darkness.

Echoing and bouncing off the walls like a taunting chant. Isabella uses her pyrokinesis to light a small path in front of her. As her eyes adjust, she stops for a second to look at her surroundings. Blood covers the walls, sliding off the stalactites into puddles on the floor. She shakes her head to get herself back on track and keeps going.

Finally the tunnel opens up to a large room, if you could call it that. Green fire-lit torches adorn the walls. The screams dulled by the multiple layers of rock. Her head darts to the left as she hears gagging sounds. Her eyes meet the back of her ex-lover, in the midst of a task it seems.

No words are spoken just yet, Hela being unaware of Isabella's presence. The raven-haired goddess has a man in her hold. Her palm effortlessly wrapped around his neck as she suspends him a few feet off the ground. He struggles against her, clawing at the sleeves of her skin-tight suit. His begging has been diminished to cries of anguish.

"Hela" Isabella says, the goddess slowly turns around, her eyes softening slightly. She stares at the brunette for a moment before releasing the man in her clutches. He falls with a thud and quickly scurries away on his hands and knees; disappearing down one of the many corridors burrowed into the wall.

Hela's arm slowly lowers, hitting against her hip with a slight bounce. She now turns to fully face the woman she loves, a sea of emotion swimming beneath her irises. "Isabella" she mutters softly, "so this is what you've been up to?" the younger woman inquires. "W-what are you doing here?" Hela questions, scolding herself for allowing her voice to tremble.

No matter how much she wants to run into Isa's arms, she holds herself back. "Frigga came to see me on Midgard. Told me you may need some assistance" Isabella replies nonchalantly. "That's where you were this whole time? Midgard? You left me for humans?" the goddess asks incredulously.

"Let us not forget why I left, Hela. I'm not here to discuss our... whatever. I'm here to help you escape. No more, no less" Isa states. "I don't need your help. I'm fully capable of saving myself" Hela tuts, "which is what I told your mother. However, if you're so 'capable' then why haven't you? You must like it here" the brunette scoffs.

"It's not the right time. Besides, how would you help me?" the goddess snickers. Both women feel pangs ring out in their chests. This hurtful banter between them not resonating with their actual feelings for each other. Since they've been parted, it's as though they've felt out of alignment. Being together is what makes them complete, it makes life worth living.

"Listen... I'm here because—despite what happened between us—I don't wish to see you suffer. I know you're not happy here, it's obvious. If we work together, we never have to see each other again" Isabella proposes. Hela slowly approaches her, only stopping when they are less than a foot apart.

"I'm going to do something I might regret..." Hela states and Isa merely nods. Hela's body goes weak, all the energy she spent on bottling up her emotions catching up to her. Allowing herself to fall apart, she drops to her knees. Leaning against Isabella's legs and wrapping her arms around them.

Isa stares straight ahead, her heart strings being pulled so tight it feels like the muscle is tearing. She slowly places a hand on the goddess' head, stroking her soft hair. The other resting on the woman's shoulder, massaging it gently. "I missed y-you" Hela cries and a tear falls down Isabella's tinted cheek.

"I'm s-so sorry, Isa. I didn't mean to—he told me it w-was a training I- I would never hurt you" Hela mumbles, still clinging onto Isabella's legs. The brunette pulls her up, having to use most of strength to pry her off. Hela keeps her eyes to the ground, her head hung very low as she's a few inches taller than Isabella.

Isabella raises the goddess' chin, forcing the woman's eyes to meet her own. Hela sniffles making Isabella smile and pull her into her arms. "I know. Let's get out of here" Isa states, pulling away and looking around. Hela leads them through a side tunnel, a long journey ahead of them.

"You know... I never left because I didn't see a point. Knowing I'd return and you'd still be gone just—I couldn't bear it" Hela admits, "I know" Isabella replies. It was the only feasible theory she could come up with as to why the goddess didn't just leave. "I assume my mother told you what happened" the goddess sighs.

"She did. We don't have to talk about that, we should focus" Isabella states and Hela nods. Her fingers twitching as she grips tightly onto the torch. As they approach the portal, that is usually open for Hela to come and go, they're met with guards. The goddess pulls Isabella to duck behind a rock.

"We get through there, and we're golden" she mumbles, Isabella nods. The brunette turns to face Hela, their noses almost touching. They stare into each others eyes, their breathes slow and deliberate.

"Isabella..."

"Hela..."

"If you- if we don't make it out of this. I want you to know that I never and will never stop loving you"