surprises

As the week began, a significant responsibility landed on your shoulders: looking after your friend's little girl, Dianne, who is just three years old, while she embarked on a business trip.

Dianne and her mom, Emma, arrived at your doorstep along with the kid's belongings at 7 a.m., just before Emma headed to the airport. Luckily, working from home allowed you to keep a close and attentive eye on Dianne throughout the entire day.

A couple of hours later, while watching Frozen II alongside Dianne, you repeatedly glanced at your phone, eagerly awaiting a response from your girlfriend, Roseanne. Knowing how important concerts are to her, you proceeded to apologize to her as much as possible. However, since she had not yet replied, your concern had started to creep in.

You considered the possibility that she was upset with you because you couldn't attend their concert, but thereafter, you took into consideration her busy schedule and tiredness for not being able to reply to you.

Last night was their concert, which you intended to go to. Regrettably, there was another event happening simultaneously, which hindered your attendance. You had been hired as the photographer for the sweet 16th birthday party of one of your clients' daughters. And as a conscientious professional, it was imperative for you to meet your clients' expectations.

Later on, while you and Dianne were engrossed in watching Frozen II, a sudden knock interrupted your evening. Curiosity sparked, and you stole a quick glance at the window, pondering the identity of the visitor. Instructing Dianne to stay put on the couch, you cautiously approached the front door.

As you opened the door, you were taken aback by the unexpected presence of your girlfriend. With a swift removal of her mask, she greeted you warmly with a sweet hello.

You didn't express any dissatisfaction, but what happened to the previous notion of being unable to visit? As early as a few months ago, she had mentioned the possibility of not being able to visit you while on her tour.

As Rosie giggled, you stuttered a response, saying hello.

"Why do you seem nervous? It's just me, baby," she reassured, planting a gentle kiss on your lips.

You blinked and apologized, "Sorry. You just said you wouldn't be able to visit."

Finally, you extended an invitation for her to come inside.

"Well, it wouldn't be a surprise now, would it?" she playfully remarked, earning a laugh from you.

"By the way, I'm currently babysitting my niece, if you don't mind," you informed her as you closed the door.

She abruptly halted her movement, pausing to remove her footwear. "Oh, is this a bad time? I'm sorry, I—"

You shook your head and grinned in response. "No, don't worry, it's fine. It's Dianne who I'm babysitting, though. She's in the—"

You temporarily stopped when you caught sight of her glance lowering just behind where you were standing, showing a grin of surprise. You then traced the direction of her gaze and spotted a euphoric Dianne.

The young girl exclaimed, "Auntie Roje!" and eagerly sprinted towards Rosie, extending her arms in anticipation.

Rosie cheerfully scooped her up, and Dianne immediately embraced her, leaving you entertained by their endearing interaction.

"How are you, sweetie? Did you miss me?" asked your girlfriend with a smile.

"Mhm, you were gone for too long. I missed playing with you. Auntie Y/N is terrible at playing," the child complained, and Rosie found this amusing, chuckling at her sour expression.