lost and found

< high-school au >

* * *

You stood nervously outside the school office, clutching a piece of paper with your name on it. It was the day you began volunteering for the school's lost and found, a task that your teacher assigned to you. You were slightly relieved that you didn't have to spend your free period in the library anymore, despite how much you enjoyed it, but at the same time, the thought of interacting with strangers and searching through piles of lost items made you anxious. But you took a deep breath and pushed open the door, stepping into the office

The school secretary, Mrs. Wallace, greeted you warmly. "Hi there, Y/N," she said with a smile. "I'm so glad you volunteered to help with the lost and found. It's such a disorganized mess, we can use all the help we can get."

You nodded, not trusting your voice enough to respond. Mrs. Wallace handed you a lanyard with a key around it.

"Here's your key to the lost and found room. Just make sure to keep the door locked at all times and only let in students who can provide a valid ID," she instructed.

You nodded again, slipping the lanyard around your neck.

Mrs. Wallace finished explaining the filing system, and as you were leaving the office, recalling the important information, you heard heels clicking on the tile floor, which took your attention away. You looked up, and your heart stopped.

It was Roseanne Park, one of the most popular girls in school and your long-time crush. You had always admired her from afar, too shy to approach her and too afraid of rejection. But now she was there, walking towards you with a small smile on her face.

"Hi, Y/N," Roseanne said, her voice soft and sweet. "I didn't know you volunteered for the lost and found too."

You felt your cheeks heat up as you stared at her. You never would have thought that Roseanne even knew you existed, let alone acknowledged your existence.

"Y-Yeah," you stuttered. "Mrs. Wallace assigned me to it."

Roseanne nodded, glancing at the lanyard around your neck.

"Can I see your key?" she asked.

You quickly handed it to her, your hands trembling slightly. Roseanne took the key and looked at it with a slight grin on her face.

"Looks like we'll be working together," she said, handing the key back to you. "I was just about to start my shift here."

You couldn't believe your luck. Not only would you get to spend time with your crush, but you would also get to work together. As you took the key back from her, your fingers brushed, and you felt a jolt of electricity go through your body. You quickly pulled your hand back, hoping she didn't notice.

"I'll let you get settled in then," Roseanne said with a smile. "See you later, Y/N."

And with a flip of her hair, she turned around and walked away, leaving you standing there with a goofy smile on your face.

You quickly shook your head, scolding yourself for acting like a lovesick fool. You had a job to do, and you couldn't let your crush on Roseanne distract you. You took a deep breath and focused on what Mrs. Wallace said about the filing system.

The next few weeks went by in a blur as you and Roseanne worked together in the lost-and-found room. You were amazed by how well you work together, as if you had known each other for years. You quickly learned each other's quirks and habits, making the job much easier.

But that wasn't all you learned about Roseanne. As you spent more time together, you discovered that she's more than just a pretty face. She's kind, funny, and down-to-earth. You couldn't help but fall even more in love with her.