hang in there, love

tw: mentions of death, suicidal thoughts, emotional and alcohol abuse, etc.

* * *

The party you went to just ended, and you were driving the car with your girlfriend, Rosie, who was on her phone in the passenger seat. With two hours left to get home, you started to feel something was wrong. Your breathing became irregular, and you started to panic internally.

Acting quickly so that Rosie wouldn't notice, you leaned against the window frame on your side, propping yourself up with your elbow and covering your mouth with your fingers while your other hand held onto the steering wheel tightly. You then began the 10-minute drive—which became shorter—to the hospital you knew about. Although you were terrified of the way you were driving, it would have taken a longer time for you to reach the hospital if you had stopped in the middle of the road to wait for paramedics.

Glancing up from her phone after sending a text to her friends, Rosie noticed you were on the brink of tears.

She nervously placed her hand on your thigh and asked, "Love, what's wrong? Are you having anxiety? Maybe we should pull over so you can relax."

A lack of response from you only made her even more worried. She quickly glanced at the route you were on, only to realize it wasn't the way home.

She nervously looked back at you and asked, "Love, where are we going?"

Once again, you ignored her and pressed the accelerator to speed up the car, sending her pulse racing.

She pleaded with you to stop the car, her grip on the seat tightening with each passing second. Her voice was shaking with fear, but you still didn't stop.

"Y/N, slow down! You're going to get us killed!"

Rosie became increasingly fearful the longer she was ignored. Tears streamed down her face as she wondered why you were acting so strangely or why she had the thought that you might take your life—or both of your lives—so soon.

Did you fall out of love with her, or was there something else that was troubling you? She did not like it, though, that you never shared your concerns. Each time she asked, you always told her that everything was fine.

Although Rosie was prepared to jump off, she was nervous and worried that something else might be happening to you. That is, until she saw the hospital.

"Baby," you softly called her. "You don't have any places you need to be soon, right?"

She looked at you with concern.

"No, don't tell me you're..." she trailed off, her voice shaky and her tears gushing down her cheeks.

You glanced back at her and said between deep breaths, "Just promise me that you won't go anywhere. Promise me that you'll stay by my side no matter what."

Tears streamed down her face as she sat silently, hanging on to your every word.

Rosie's eyes filled with worry as you parked near the emergency room, but you couldn't bear it any longer and rushed out of the car. Rosie ran after you in the emergency room and called the nurses, who quickly came to your aid and put you on a stretcher. Sadly, she watched as you fought for breath.

Rosie's hopeful gaze met yours, and she tightly clasped your hand as you choked out the words "I love you."

As they wheeled you away to a different room, she tried eagerly to stay by your side. However, a nurse had to sternly warn her to stay back, and with a heavy heart, she had to obey. With tearful eyes, she watched from the window as doctors and nurses fought to bring your pulse back.