10. That Fateful Blade- 2023 Entry by @SolaceInMyDream

Jessica Stone, SolaceInMyDream

That Fateful Blade

In which training doesn't go to plan.

No content warnings apply!

Percy swung Riptide at one of the training dummies, the cut on its arm spilling out straw. He wiped the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand.

"Don't tire yourself out now, Seaweed Brain."

Percy grinned over at Annabeth. "You should be hoping that I do! I'm going to get you during training today."

Annabeth smirked. "I wouldn't count on it, Percy. You're not the only one here who knows their way around a fight. Besides, Chiron wants us to train some of the new campers." Percy groaned, and Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You train every day, Percy. Just for today, you can practice the basics. You'll be fine."

~~~~~~~~

"And that's what you need to know to start using a sword. Any questions?" Percy looked across the faces of the young demigods.

"Uh, yeah," one of them asked. "How do you twirl your sword like that?"

Annabeth chuckled. "That's a little advanced for you. Why don't you put down your sword-"

As Annabeth approached the camper to retrieve his sword, he swung it in a circle, trying to spin it. The blunt edge of the blade struck Annabeth in the head, and she collapsed to the ground.

"Annabeth? Annabeth!" Percy yelled when she didn't respond. He looked to the demigods surrounding him who were staring at Annabeth apprehensively. "Someone go get help! A medic, an Apollo camper, anything!"

~~~~~~~~

After four days of sitting in a coma in the infirmary, Annabeth awoke. She sat up, wincing at the pounding sensation between her eyes. "Where... am I?" She croaked through parched lips, though there was no one around to hear her. She looked around and saw what looked like a hospital room, but less official and sterile. She was in a white cot with the sheets pulled up around her. Her orange shirt said something, but the letters swam and her headache intensified when she tried to read them.

She swung her legs off the cot and stood up, pausing until her head stopped spinning, and stumbled out of the room. She made her way to the door, and she was almost out when someone grabbed her arm.

"Annabeth! Thank the gods, I found you! You shouldn't be walking around right now." The boy seemed to be around her age, maybe younger, with golden blond hair and tan, freckled skin. "At least you're awake," he said brightly. "Percy's going to be so relieved when he hears-"

Annabeth cut him off. "Who's Percy?"