14. Snakesong- 2024 Entry by @Estelle-Jackson

TheAugustVirgo, Estelle-Jackson

she/her

Snakesong

Annabeth is in a bad situation and finds love.

Features Annabeth Chase x Piper McLean

CW: Weapons

Annabeth's POV:

I woke to a throbbing echoing throughout my skull. I felt the softness of cushions against my back as I lay against what I assumed was a couch.

As I tried to sit up a wave of nausea rolled over me. At the same time, the memories of what happened came flooding over me.

~~~~

"Loosen up Annie, we're just going to the warehouse to check out a lead. There's supposed to be a drug shipment arriving there tonight." Percy insisted from across the table.

"I don't know Percy, something feels off about this. I don't think we should go." I replied uncertainly. Over the years of fighting crime, I've learned the hard way to trust my gut, and right now my gut is telling me not to go.

"We're still going Annabeth, now suit up," Percy commanded as he walked towards where his black and teal suit was on display.

I sighed in acknowledgment and shuffled over to where my deep purple and gray suit was held. I took my mask from the mannequin and stared at it. White films cover my eyes to hide their color. I traced my fingers along the sharp corners as I questioned my choice of becoming a vigilante. But then I remembered why I began. I remembered Thalia's expressionless face as she faced a gang so Luke and I could get to safety. I remembered the fear in Luke's face as he carried me as he made a run for it to the safe house. I remembered the hopelessness in Luke's eyes when he told that Thalia hadn't made it. I remembered the devastation that tore through me when I realized that I would never see her again. Never again.

I wouldn't let what happened to me happen to anyone else.

I suited up and began to restock my utility belt, being careful to correctly organize the smoke pellets, tracers, and pellet grenades. My fingers gently brushed my bronze dagger, a gift from Luke, who became my mentor and taught me how to fight after Thalia died, as I carefully slid it into the sheath on my belt.

Once we both were suited up and ready we grappled our way over to the warehouse. The strange thing that confused me, however, was that there was no one there.

"Tidal, are you sure about this?" I asked Percy using his vigilante name since we were in the field now. "There's no one here, we should go back."

"No!" Percy barked, "We're going to check it out. On your count Nightowl." Percy responded, using my vigilante name as well.

"Okay, on three. One, two, three!" I shouted as I burst through the warehouse roof.