Race with the devil

They got their cars started and someone asked for a girl to announce the beginning of the race. I immediately raised my hand and was given a white handkerchief. I made my way to the empty space before the cars and stood there, holding the handkerchief up in the air. I waited a little while before I finally pulled it down and heard the roar of the engines fill my ears. The cars drove by very close to me. I turned around when they disappeared in the distance, leaving a cloud of smoke and dust behind.

Many guys there were cheering their mates by yelling and jumping around. Even Johnny smiled wide and held his fist in the air. Sodapop jumped up on Steve's back and Steve held his legs at the height of his waist, carrying him around while Soda cheered Dallas and wasn't able to stop laughing. Me neither.

"Speed up, Dal!" Johnny yelled, as if it was possible Dally would hear him. He really was having fun.

"Hey, he's the first! Look!" Soda noticed, pointing at the red T-Bird.

"C'mon, Dal," I whispered.

Dallas' POV

I was the first, even though this car wasn't prepared to stand a race like this. I glanced at the nearest car out of the corner of my eye and tried to go faster. He was trying to reach me and he really was getting it, man. No way, I thought. I could see the finish line right ahead.

But something went wrong. The car shook sideways and I felt the steering wheel didn't allow me to get the control of the T-Bird anymore. I thought I could get to the finish line anyways, but the car drove to the side, crashing into the nearest competitor. The left lights broke and sweat ran across my forehead, making my hair stick to my skin. I wondered if I had any possibilities to win now. The fact that the guy in the other car mine was stuck with jumped off his I realized maybe there wouldn't be a way out if I kept trying to drive to the line. Both cars were heading together out of the lot.

I sighed, beginning to weight down, and I looked behind me. The other cars were approaching and driving by my side. It wouldn't take much time 'til they got to the finish line. I took off my sunglasses and kept them in my pocket. I shook my head and shoved myself to the seat next to the driver's, kicking the door with my knee to open it. I may have waited a few seconds before jumping off the car, not regretting anything I'd done, man. I landed on the ground, rolling a bit 'til I pulled my hands to the sides to stop myself from moving. I felt a little dizzy and kneeled on one knee to stand up. I stumbled without meaning it and took out a cigarette, managing to light it up in spite of my blurred vision.

By now Buck's T-Bird had slowed down and stopped when it crashed into a high fence. He might kill me but I didn't care. Steve could fix it before he could ever notice.

I saw the guys running up to me. I sighed. I didn't want them to be around me now. And Johnny had seeing me messing it all up. Huh, and Carrie too, I guess. She was the first of them who started running. I turned around, took a long puff and walked away. No one would put a hand on Buck's car, I knew well. They wouldn't like to get mixed in my troubles.

Carrie's POV

The moment I saw Dally jumping off the car my legs started moving. First walking; then running. I was confident Dally wouldn't be hurt because he's a tough guy, but I was worried anyway.

He stood up and walked away before we could reach him.

"Better leave him alone," Steve warned Johnny and me.

"Guess so," Johnny nodded, looking at his hero walking away with his cool walk. Dallas wasn't running. He knew his friends wouldn't follow him unless he wanted. But his friends weren't me, therefore I continued running after him. I'm not a great runner, I get tired soon, but somehow I managed to speed up and tapped his shoulder. Dallas kept walking, so I did the same next to him.