Pony can't help it

I knocked on the Curtis' door. It was cold outside. I didn't mean to stay at their house. I just wanted to ask them if they could drive me to where Dally was.

I saw a tall silhouette approaching. Someone opened the door and stared at me. It was Darry, still dressed up in his casual clothes. It was late, so that kind of surprised me. "You know where Pony is?" he asked me, half worried half mad. "He should have arrived home by 11."

"No. I was at home."

Darry looked at my cheek, which had to be turning purple. "What happened to you? Are you okay?"

"Yeah yeah. I just argued with my parents," I answered.

"You should go back. They'll be worried."

I chuckled and sighed. "Not really. I sneaked out. I cannot stand 'em any longer."

Darry crossed his arms and let me come inside. "Why then?"

"Dallas is not good for me, according to my old man. You know what? I don't fuckin' care. You know if he's at Buck's?"

Soda walked in, rubbing the back of his head and without his shoes on. "Oh hey, Carrie."

"It's too early for him. He might be playing pool somewhere," Darry answered. He took the keys of the truck and went out the door. "Come with me. I'll drive you there just in case."

"Wait, I'll go too," Soda said, running behind me.

I followed Darry and got in the truck. The radio was on and I heard Del Shannon's song called Runaway.

Soda started singing the chorus. I liked that song, but somehow it seemed people there in the radio could see what I was doing and playing the perfect songs for every moment in my life. That gave me the creeps. Like something bad was going to happen sooner or later.

"Can I ask what's going on between you and Dallas?" Darry suddenly asked, breaking the silence.

"Don't tell the guys... I'm his new girlfriend," I confessed.

Darry glanced at me out of the corner of his eye. "How come a girl like you wants to be with a guy like Dallas?"

"I don't know. He's handsome, tough and free. Yeah, he may be a hammering pain in your head, but I feel something inside him tells him to stick together. Not only 'cause we are a bit alike. He did some things which proved he didn't want me to go."

"Like what?"

"The night we had sex and I got drunk he could have dumped me there by the lake. He didn't. Instead he brought me to Buck's and carried me to bed without bothering to wake me up. That really says something, huh?" I explained looking up at him.

Soda nodded. "Dally is complicated. You gotta be patient with him."

"I'm complicated too. I guess that's the reason why we argue a lot."

"You said you had sex with him? How old are you?" Darry asked, worried.

"Sixteen. It was amazing," I remembered, feeling dumb for a second.

"Ooo, you dirty birds," Soda chuckled.

"Don't tell me he was your first guy. You took precautions?"

I tilted my head to the side. "Well..."

"Well what? You didn't–" he looked at my eyes. "Oh God!"

Soda's eyes widened. "What the hell?"

"Hey, he didn't have any condoms left and I didn't want to leave it all there just to cuddle and stargaze meanwhile. Why you worry, Darry? You ain't my father."