Crazy ideas

I didn't have enough strength to stand up after he finished. My stomach hurt and I just could pull back up my panties, lying there with blood soaking my jeans, pieces of dark brown hair around me and dirt in my hands.

I felt dizzy and wanted to go home so bad. If I hadn't gone looking for Dally, this wouldn't have happened. But who could have told me so?

I don't remember how much time I spent thinking and kind of going crazy before I finally heard some steps running over to me. I was so damn scared that I crawled away from them as fast as I could 'til I realized it was Dallas.

"God the fuck," he mumbled running up to me. "You okay, doll?"

"Yeah..." I lied.

"Hey," he said, holding my head between his hands. "You sure? Man, you look awful."

I couldn't feel more relieved. Having Dally there, worrying about me for once in a lifetime, felt like reaching heaven. I couldn't help looking down for him not to see that I was actually feeling as awful as he said I looked. And for the first time too, I felt my eyes filling up with tears, which soon started streaming down my cheeks. I wiped my face with my arm and Dally pulled me against his chest and wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him as hard as I could and he tried to make me stand up meanwhile, half-dragging half-carrying me back to Beale Street.

When we went past the streetlights, I managed to walk a bit on my own, making an effort to forget the cut I had in my leg. Dally insisted in putting an arm across my shoulders. I looked up at his face and realized he had a black eye and a cut in his lip.

"What happened to you?" I asked him.

"Nothing, man. Steve and I went out for some milkshakes after he left Evie sleeping in their room. So we walk away and after a while we see these two hoods coming out of an alley. One of them was wearing the ring I gave you. We begin chasing them and set up a fight. That's how I got this bruises. This is for you," he said, giving me the ring.

"I told 'em my man was the best," I said kissing his lips.

He stopped walking and held me against a streetlight, rubbing my arms. "You should have brought a jacket," he whispered.

"I forgot," I told him, just hugging him.

We heard the sound of a police car very near and decided better to continue walking. I still felt blood running down my knee and Dally noticed and speeded up.

He didn't bother to help me going upstairs. I didn't ask for his help either. He knew I could do it myself. And besides, he could get things ready for when I reached the door.

I walked in and he had taken off his brown leather jacket, dropping it on the floor as he did with the rest of the clothes he had brought. We both were messy people, to tell the truth. I saw him in the bathroom, opening some boxes and taking stuff out of them.

"Sit down," he ordered me. I sat down on the floor while he threaded a needle. He brought a bottle on the way too and handed it to me. "Drink some."

"What is it?" I asked, smelling the inside of it.

"Whisky."

I took a long sip and had to close my eyes due to the strong flavor. Dally pulled down my jeans and sat with me, taking the bottle and dropping some whisky over the cut. It felt like fire burning above my knee.

"Have some more, man," Dally said, handing it back to me.

I stared at Dally's hands all the time, seeing how he grabbed the needle and held my skin together, sewing the cut and showing that he had practice. He had probably taken care of himself after rumbles for a very long time with nobody's help. I liked how he looked so concentrate; he was being incredibly careful to not mess things up.