Chapter 13: New and Old Roads

🎶 Mind Over Matter (Reprise) — Young the Giant 🎶

"Here you go" Victoria panted when she taped up the last box with my belongings in what was now her apartment.
A few weeks had passed, since I had received that letter from the notary and I had debated with myself for quite a long time about what I was going to do now. Just yesterday, I went to my office after my personal leave and handed in my notice. They were sad to see me go, but it didn't come as a shock, after what had happened.

The shippers were loading their truck with my boxes and Vicky and I slumped down on the couch.
"Monte-Carlo, huh?" she asked and grinned.
"I have no idea what Bobby was thinking but I'm going to try for his sake." I replied.
"And you're not telling us where you'll go in the meantime?" she said.
"Nope. I'll be on the Riviera from November on, but I need some time alone before that." I said.
"Ok, but at least text once a month or so that we know you've not been kidnapped" she said and grabbed my hand.
"Ok, I will" I replied.
"I miss him so much" she whispered.
"I do too." I sighed.
"But you'll do as he said, right? Move on" she asked.
"When I'll feel ready..." I said pensively. "Come on, it's time to go now."
We were driving up to Hyannis Port for one last weekend with the family and then I was off. I had told nobody about my plans, but I was going to drive the iconic Route 66. It would have been mine and Bobby's honeymoon trip and I felt I needed to do it on my own in order to get some closure.

 It would have been mine and Bobby's honeymoon trip and I felt I needed to do it on my own in order to get some closure

mary.wright98 Logging off until November!

Comments under this post have been disabled.

—————————————

It was the 31st of October and I was standing at Gate B48, ready to board my flight to London, where I would then take a connecting flight to Nice. I had debated to stay in London for a few days, but I was way too eager to start this new chapter of my life. The trip had been liberating in so many ways, and I felt that I was ready to live my life now, just like Bobby had asked me to do in his letter. I always kept it in my wallet and the edges were already very crumpled, I loved to read it at night, before going to sleep.

I unlocked my phone and opened WhatsApp. I still had 245 unopened chats, but I tapped on Carmen's pinned conversation at the top and called her.
"Hey, hey, hey, how's my favourite pregnant friend doing?" I asked cheerily.
"I was just going to bed now! I'm doing fine, it's only two more weeks now and I want it to arrive already." she chuckled.
"I'll be arriving tomorrow night, can I come over on Thursday?" I asked.
"Sure! I could use your help with some household stuff!" she replied. "I can't wait to hear about everything from your trip!"
"Yeah, I can't wait to tell you, ok, they're starting the boarding, I'll see you soon, bye bye" I quickly said and hung up.

The flight went smoothly and I arrived at 9 in the evening it Nice. This airport almost felt like home itself, with how often I had been here by now. A driver was waiting for me and drove me to my new apartment building, situated on Boulevard Rainier III. It was already dark when I arrived, but the view was breathtaking. I had no other building blocking my view and the harbour stretched itself out in front of me. Out of habit, I looked for the Sedici and seeing it there in its place already gave me a feeling of home.

The next day, I stopped at the boulangerie, to get some croissants to bring to Carmen's for breakfast and then made my way to their apartment.
"You're here! I actually should have visited you so that I get to see the loft!" she chuckled and hugged me as tightly as possible with her huge bump in the way.
"It's amazing, I should definitely do a housewarming party at some point, but-" I said, but she cut me off.
"But you still haven't told anyone except us blabla, you know your disappearing is getting boring" she joked.
"But it's liberating!" I argued and laughed.
"Yes? How was it?" she now asked seriously.
I nodded. "Good, really. I feel ready."
"And what are you doing with your whopping 20 million?" she chuckled.
"They're destined for charity. I still haven't had the time to think about it. As for work, I think I'm going to take a break for a while, I did clever investments with my portfolio and have got quite a stable revenue, so I'm not worried about money." I replied.
"Mary Wright. Taking a break from work. Am I dreaming?" she asked.
"Who knows, maybe I'll write a book" I said pensively.
"A book? On what? How to disappear in 10 seconds and never be heard of again?" she joked.
"Very funny. Come on, you said you needed help in the household." I said to change the conversation.

Though, I wished to have never said that. She shooed me around the apartment all day and I had to climb on ladders to re-organise cupboards, George's trophies and a whole other bunch of stuff that she wanted to move out of the way before the baby's arrival. I got home again in the late evening and slumped down on the floor. Currently, there was only a mattress in the bedroom and a functioning kitchen, but no other interiors. I quickly pulled out a phone and called a familiar number.

"Mary Wright. Am I dreaming? You have resurfaced from the underworld?" Alice chuckled when she picked up.
"You're not dreaming, I have resurfaced. Do you fancy a trip to Monaco sometime soon?"