Chapter 27: Increase Romance

🎶 What's Love Got to Do with It — Kygo, Tina Turner 🎶

Charles had just come back from Silverstone this weekend and it wasn't long until summer break now. He was definitely a favourite again for this year's title but Oscar in his McLaren was very close on his tail and also George wasn't ready to give up quite yet. Ferrari was an absolute disaster this season and Lando was very annoyed by it. He was used to getting what he wanted at McLaren and at his current team he wasn't the star boy, he just wasn't one of them. Plus this year he was competing against a girl in the garage and all the media and team's attention was on her.

The first weekend of summer break, we were going away for Alice and Joris' bachelor/bachelorette party - they had wanted to do a joint one. As best man, Charles had been generous to offer his boat for that and we were set to stay out at sea for a few days on the French Riviera.

Charles and I were currently at the supermarket doing some grocery, but more importantly alcohol shopping.
"How many Gin bottles do you reckon we need?" he asked me.
"Ten. Us Brits love that shit" I replied.
"Belvedere or Grey Goose?" I asked him and put both bottles in the air.
"Grey Goose" he replied and I nodded.
After spending a horrendous amount of money we loaded everything in his Aston Martin.
"What happened to your Pista by the way?" I asked him curiously.
"Sold it" he shrugged. "Too many memories" he added.
"But they were good memories" I chuckled.
"It was unfair to think of you that way when you had another man" he said deep in thought.
I nodded. That actually sounded very respectful and... somehow healthy.

We arrived at the boat and started preparing everything for the arrival of the guests. As there was limited space, Joris had invited Charles, Riccardo, Marta and Nico along, while Alice had brought me, a cousin and two other friends. Everyone arrived and the bride and groom were the last ones. They arrived already drunk as they had raided the airplane's alcohol supplies on their way here.

We then set out and our first stop was Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, where we had a delicious dinner and lots of drinks afterwards. Alice was glowing and so was Joris, never had I ever thought they could make such a beautiful couple together.
"Who would have thought?" Marta asked me when she was seated next to me.
"Not me" I laughed.
"You kept her hidden from us!" Marta joked.
"I didn't! Charles knew her!" I defended myself and laughed.
"Speaking of him, how are things between you two?" she asked curiously.
"I don't know. We're friends..." I replied.
"You were never just a friend for him..." she said.
"A lot has happened Marta. I'm not the adventurous 22-year-old he met in the Paddock. I was ready to marry another man, that just doesn't go away that quickly. I have responsibilities because of that and..." I said but stopped myself. Marta raised an eyebrow. Yes, what was actually holding me back? Bobby wanted me to have a life and Charles was there.
The waiter brought our food and I was very thankful as that diverted the attention from the conversation we were just having.

The next day, after a day out on the sea jet skiing and swimming, we stopped in Nice for another heavy night out. Joris and Alice were enjoying themselves so much that I honestly though a joint bachelor's/bachelorette party wasn't so bad after all. There were lots of women drooling over Charles and I was jealous as hell, but unfortunately in no position to say anything. I needed to get my act together if I didn't want to lose him to someone who could give him what he wanted. With Lorenzo now already having kids and rumours swirling that Charlotte was expecting again, his brother surely wanted to follow his example.

 With Lorenzo now already having kids and rumours swirling that Charlotte was expecting again, his brother surely wanted to follow his example