The Torn Heart

Itachi and other Anbu members were training. Suddenly Hokage came and behind him was.. a girl?

She looked younger than him. So fragile and innocent.

"Meet your new member. Lily. She'll be a healer in Anbu black ops." Hokage spoke.

Hokage tells her to be in Itachi's team. She looked weak.

Lily didn't want to be there. She was still a kid. She didn't understand why she should fight. Because she have a talent? She didn't want this.

Hokage put her in team with boy. She recognise him imadiatly. Itachi Uchiha. He was known to be a proteges of his time.

Maybe they can get along? No. He and her are too different.

------

The dark night slowly covered the sky. Itachi was in the hideout with a cup of hot coffee. It was a very difficult decision. Akatsuki is planning to kidnap Lily.

If they succeed.. they will kill her for sure.

Itachi thought about what to do. Should he rescue her and betray his mission?

In the past, he already made the mistake of leaving Lily alone and hurt. But now, he must be cold-hearted again. It was a very hard decision for Itachi.

He didn't want to make the same mistake again. But Itachi's mission came first. His loyalty to the village was his purpose in life. His goal was above any love, any friendship.

He was thinking like that. He can't afford any other mistakes. Itachi knew that he must not intervene with Akatsuki's plan.

Itachi continued to think about the mission. He can't think of anything else.

If he won't save Lily, she will die. Itachi's conscience hurts. Even his heart started to beat faster.

"The mission still comes first. I must forget about my feelings and protect only the village."

All those thoughts disappeared when he saw Kisame caring Lily on his back. She looked weak and fragile like the fight took a big hold on her.

Itachi froze. A cup fell from his hands. He didn't know what to do. He can't ignore the mission but she was right there.

"I haven't seen her in four years."

Itachi's mind was confused. He thought that he must forget about his feelings.

But it was impossible, all the memories were coming back to him.

Lily's tearful look that night. How he left her and broke her heart.

Then suddenly Itachi realised.

This could be his last chance to save her. To make up for what he did. But to do that he has to betray the village...

Now Itachi was even more confused.

His duty is above all. But the memories of Lily still hurts. It was difficult to make the choice.

He walked closer to Lily to see what's going on. She always avoided training and most of the time acted like a child. But she's strong. Or at least were.

Itachi walked closer to her and see that she's not knocked out but-

***

When Itachi left Lily 4 years ago, she was broken.

She couldn't understand his decisions. Why couldn't he trust her? Did he not loved her?

Lily's heart still aches to this day.

Every birthday on her desk she would find red roses and a black feather. Raven. Itachi.

She would immediately throw the roses out.

"What does he want from me? To remind me how weak I am and that he's still free? Does he want to manipulate me to think he misses me?"

Lily still can't understand Itachi.

But every time she sees those roses and feather her heart aches more. It aches thinking about Itachi.

There is one part of her that is happy to see Itachi's roses and feather, it means he still thinks of her, that he still cares about her.

There is another part of her that thinks that Itachi still thinks that she's weak and helpless, and that she need help from him.

"I don't know how to feel anymore."

Her mind is a mess.

The fact that Sasuke looked like him was not helping too. To Sasuke Lily was like big sister. After Itachi left she started to take care of him.

But every time she looks at him she sees Itachi. Lily remember his eyes, his smile. But in the end she was never enough for him. Did he even care for her at all?

Even though Sasuke looks like Itachi, Sasuke was the most important thing in Itachi's life. Lily wasn't even close to Sasuke in Itachi's eyes.

"Did I really love Itachi back then? Or did I just want someone's love?"

Now Lily understands that Sasuke and her were never enough for Itachi.

She couldn't understand what Itachi wanted from her.

All the love that Sasuke and she had for Itachi was not enough.

She tried to do everything to care for Itachi and love him. But still failed.

"Itachi was right about one thing. I was too weak to safe my parents. I was too weak to stop him."