Chapter 12 The Merpeople

In the Mermaid realm, the squads had just excited the portal and once they were all out it closed behind them. When their vision cleared they all saw they were standing on a small island that looked deserted. They looked around and saw that there were strange looking fruits growing on the vegetation here.

"Wow this place is really nice, but why are we on the island instead of the kingdom?" Lila asked.

"Well we needed to get something from here, as there aren't any air sockets in the kingdom so we'll all have to breathe underwater if we want to see them, and we'll have to be quick," Iris explained.

"But how can we do that Iris?" Erick asked.

"Yeah what do we do to grow gills? Cause I don't think the human body is capable of that," Josh explained.

"Hehe don't worry there's no need for that as there's something on this island that will do the trick," Iris explained.

"Huh, what's that Iris?" Ed asked.

Iris smiled and walked up to a bush that had some blue fruits on it. She picked about nine of them and threw them over to the squads.

"Oh hey I remember these!" Paccia exclaimed.

"Really what are they?" Jake asked.

"There's a magical fruit that when eaten, will give you the ability to breathe underwater!" Paccia explained excitedly.

"Oh fascinating," Ed said.

"Yeah there's juice inside that you all have to drink first then eat the rest. Once that's done you'll be able to breathe underwater till it's been fully digested," Amara explained.

"Yeah, so let's eat everyone!" Iris exclaimed as she threw the fruits to everyone.

"Wait Faith, what about you and the other animal guides?" Lila asked worried about them.

"Don't worry about us, we have magic and we can breathe anything," Faith explained reassuring Lila and the others.

"Yeah so you all just eat up and let's get going!" Akira exclaimed.

The Squads all nodded and cracked open theri fruits and began drinking the juice inside. Once the juice was gone they ate the flesh and it was utterly delicious. After they were done eating Iris cast some magic and their clothes all turned into bathing suits.

"Wow thanks Iris, that saves us the trouble of dealing with soaking wet clothing when we get out of the water," Jane explained.

"Yeah that sucks, some of my siblings pushed me into water as a joke and it was always a pain to get out of it after that," Jenny explained feeling a little annoyed remembering her siblings' antics.

"Hey um where's my hoodie, cause I ain't going anywhere without that!" Josh exclaimed as he started looking around for his beloved hoodie.

"Oh your normal clothes are in your backpacks. I thought I'd leave them there for you all," Iris explained.

Josh then threw his backpack off and ripped it open, and there it was his beloved hoodie inside. Josh took it out, hugged it, and put it back on, refusing to take it off no matter what.

"I swear the only way anyone is taking that thing off of you is from your cold, dead hands," Erick stated.

"Ha! Good luck cause even then I'd glue it to my hands!" Josh exclaimed.

"Hey guys let's focus on the task at hand! We gotta get to the merpeople and stop Adrienne before she invades the kingdom and who knows what she'll do!" Hannah called out as she walked into the water.