4

I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever been as nervous as I am right now. And I deal with dead bodies for a living.

The amount of deep breaths I've taken in the mirror already is ridiculous. I stare at my reflection, fixing stray pieces of hair and smoothing out my shirt. I'm wearing a black collared dress-shirt with matching trousers. The Meadow is what I'd call a casual-formal restaurant, so I feel my attire is appropriate for the occasion. I want him to think I'm as attractive as I find him. Thankfully, my cast I have to use now is thin and allows me to still use my hands, and can be hidden well enough under the sleeves.

There's a ring at the door. I smooth and fix the last bits of my outfit before grabbing my wallet and rushing down the stairs. Xiao is on the floor in the living room playing with his toys, babbling to himself. He eyes me as I pass by and go for the door, opening it quickly.

"Hello, Mr. Zhongli!"

"Xiangling," I say, out of breath. "Hello. Thank you for coming so short notice. He's already had a bath, but he'll need dinner. He's just playing with his toys right now. The credit card is on the counter as always if you need anything. I know you prefer to cook, but if you're not up to it you can always order something."

She smiles, nodding and stepping inside. "No problem! And I'm always up for cooking. No worries, he's in good hands!"

"Oh, I know," I say, then turn toward Xiao. "I'll be back later tonight, Nugget. Behave for Miss Xiangling, okay?" I walk over to kiss his forehead, and he reaches up for me. I smile, picking him up and giving him another kiss. "I'll miss you. Have fun for me." I place him back down, before grabbing my keys and giving Xiangling a nod. "Alright, take care. I'll probably be a few hours."

"Have fuuuun!" she smirks. I can't help but blush at her obvious teasing. I shake my head, a small smile at my lips, before exiting my home and entering my car.

The whole ride there, I feel bile creeping forward. Every thought is making me nauseous. What happens if he doesn't see me that way? It would be hard being just friends knowing my attraction to him is already so strong.

I can't jump to conclusions. Everything I need to know, I'll figure out tonight.

I try to calm my nerves as I pull up to the restaurant, taking a few more deep breaths, before parking and shutting off my car. I sit there for a second, collecting my thoughts, then reach for my phone to text Childe.

Zhongli: I'm here.

Childe: I'm so sorry, I've been a bit held up at work but I'm on my way. Can you get us a table? I'll make it up to you, I promise

I want to be annoyed, but something about that last sentence distracts me. My fingers brush a hair behind my ear and I bite my lip. Make it up to me, how exactly? I almost laugh at myself for the direction my mind has gone. What's gotten into me lately? Childe is really clouding my usual judgment. But... it's very exciting. It's been so long since I've had such a feeling.

Zhongli: It's fine, I understand. Yes, I'll get us a table.

I stuff my phone in my pocket and head toward the door, where a man awaits to seat me. Once seated, I text Childe the table I'm at and wait. The waiter offers me water, which I accept, and I allow my phone to distract me in the meantime, looking up every time I feel the door open.

I'd say I've been sitting here alone for about twelve minutes, before I look up to find that ginger hair coming through the front doors. I perk up, suddenly feeling hot and nervous all over again. I glance at my reflection in the dim light of my phone, fixing whatever I can see, then look over at the tall redhead who's now looking at me. He smiles, giving a wave before pointing over at me and saying something to the host, who also looks at me and nods him on.