40

Yesterday was eventful, and today will be the same. The five of us pick Aether up from his home and head to view our potential new one. Xiao had begged Childe to allow Aether to tag along, and he eventually gave in, seeing no harm in the matter.

The new home is about a thirty minute drive from our original house, and equal distance from the funeral parlor and the kid's school, which couldn't be more perfect. We turn down a long pathway surrounded by trees and drive quite a length down the narrow road. The kids in the back pay no mind to the changing scenery, instead busy chatting amongst themselves. I, on the other hand, bask in my surroundings.

"This is perfect," I say. "The seclusion is exactly what we need. Who would expect a home to be out here? Even the turn into this place is easily missed if you aren't aware of it."

I turn to Childe to find him nodding. "Yeah," he says. "A blessing and a curse really. A place like this provides a lot of concealment, but a bitch to escape from. Not to mention, one of us is going to have to drive the kids to the bus stop."

"Little inconveniences for better protection," I say. "More trees means more opportunities of survival."

"You've got a point there," Childe says.

"I always do," I smirk, glancing back through the window. I can see the house up ahead now. We tread our way through the path until we reach a tall, black gate surrounding the perimeter of the large home.

Childe approaches it and lowers the car window, reaching a finger to the small silver button on a speaker. We all wait quietly—kid's included—before a buzzing noise rings through the box and the gate parts before us.

"Oh sick," Aether says. "You guys are like, living in a castle. Or a prison."

Lyney laughs. "Prison?"

"Yeah, prison doors make that sound too I think," Aether says.

"Charming," Xiao smirks.

"Looks like we didn't escape the allegations," Lyney says, and the boys laugh. I can't help cracking the smallest smile at that as well. It falters just as quickly, though, and is instead replaced with a sudden knot in my stomach that makes me nauseous.

Childe pulls slowly into the long drive, before parking beside a black Bentley, similar to the one we left at home. The windows are tinted, so we can't tell if anyone is inside. He kills the engine, and the five of us hop out, as Childe locks up behind us.

The front door is massive. I'm starting to think this place must be hundreds of years old and haunted for us to get such a great deal on such an extravagant home. Childe goes to press the bell, but there's no need, as the door swings open before us, and a tall woman dressed in a white blouse and black trousers greets us with a smile.

"Hello," she says, a chipper tone. "Welcome! You must be Mr. Zhongli and Childe. Do, come in, come in!"

She presses her back against the door, presenting the path to us as we carefully make our way inside, thanking her along the way. Our eyes widen in awe as we take in the interior of what appears to be the living room. The ceiling is high, and dangling in the center is a stunning chandelier.

"Whoa," Xiao says.

"Whoa," Aether repeats.

The woman smiles. "Isn't it lovely? Here, follow me and I'll give you the full tour. This place is truly a gem."

We follow the woman through several parts of the home, gawking and taking in the exquisite interior design. The home feels like something out of the Renaissance era, so elegant yet Medieval in a sense. Looking at all of this, I can't wrap my head around a couple of things, and it puts me a bit on edge.