9

Childe and I work as a team to slide the body into the furnace, though he's the main manpower in the operation, as I can only give half-effort. We stand in silence as the flames engulf the figure, then I grow bored of the familiar process and retrieve the baby monitor from my back pocket.

Thankfully, my son is still sound asleep. He doesn't suspect a thing. I feel horrible about everything, but at least I'm less likely to go to prison and never see him again now.

It'll take a bit for body to completely ashen, so I decide I'll let it do its work, as it's on a timer, and I'd better head back home to Xiao.

"Well," Childe says, flashing me an awkward, sad smile, "guess you should drive me back to my car then."

I study him, unconsciously biting my lip. I really should just drive him back to his car and that'll be the end of it. He'll be out of my life and I never have to worry about being part of his criminal activities again. But...

"If I did that," I say, "you wouldn't be able to play hide and seek with my son like you promised, for as long as he wanted to."

Damn, what am I doing? I shouldn't allow this man back into my home. Who's to say the dead man didn't have a partner looking for him? I could be putting my son in serious danger once more. But... despite everything, I honestly feel like I can trust him more now, especially with my son. He was honest with me. Everything he's doing, though not the greatest solution, is all in...good faith?

After all, he saved Xiao. If anything, my son is probably safer with him around...
Plus, committing a murder and cremating the body together tends to form a bond too hard to let go. Not to mention the fact that, well, he's still very, very attractive.

Hey, I never said I was sane.

A smile spreads over Childe's face that he tries to tame to no avail. "So, you don't hate me?"

"You're crazy," I say. "And maybe you belong behind bars. But, I guess I can say the same about myself now, huh? I admire your passion, and for some odd reason, I do trust you. I...don't think I'm quite ready to let you go."

That smile never fades as he crosses his arms and looks me over. "Good. Now I don't have to threaten to call the cops on you to get you to stay by my side." I frown, and he laughs. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Well, I personally would be honored to have a sleepover with you and join the two of you for breakfast."

——

Upon arrival back to my place, I make Childe help me clean up the mess in the living room as quietly as possible, the both of us constantly eyeing the baby monitor to ensure we're actually being quiet.

We do what we can, picking up the pieces of broken vase and straightening things that went crooked, before sneaking our way up to my room for the second time tonight.

This time, the two of us slip out of our clothes and crawl into bed just to sleep. Having sex after all the events of the night just...doesn't seem like a good idea. I can't say I'm in the mood for it either. My bed is quite large, and the two of us turn our backs to one another and lay on opposite sides. Childe mumbles a little night that I repeat, and he's quick to doze off.

I, on the other hand, stare out the window for at least an hour. What am I doing? I think. No way this is a good idea. And now he's back in my bed? If I don't wake up tomorrow, it's my own fault.

At some point during my thoughts, tiredness reels me in, until I'm blinking in the morning sunlight spilling through the curtains. I groan, shifting under the blanket to turn over and look to the opposite side of the bed. But what I see—or rather, don't see—is Childe, no longer sleeping beneath the covers.