3. 20, 23 - Part 1

A gentle hum of conversation and the soft chirping of evening birds greeted Murtasim as he stepped into the Khan Haveli. His eyes scanned the living area and he stopped dead in his tracks. Meerab was there – she had arrived only days ago - his camera in her hands, and all of his precious belongings were spread out on the table in front of her. They were scattered remnants of his past, each carrying a weight of unspoken dreams and buried ambitions.

Each item transported him back to a different point in his life, memories he hadn't touched in years. The camera's metallic body, reflecting the dim light of the room, brought a rush of emotions. Every photo he had taken, every dream he had of capturing the world's beauty, flooded back.

The weight of his responsibilities and the sacrifices he made to uphold his family's legacy bore down on him in that instant. His heart ached sharply at the sight of the camera, which once represented all his dreams and passions.

His eyes, usually calm and steady, burned with anger and regret. "Who gave you the right to touch these?" He snapped, his voice dripping with bitterness.

"Murtasim!" Meerab gasped, as if she hadn't heard him approaching. "I... I was just-" Meerab began, her voice faltering as she tried to explain, but he cut her off.

"You can't just go around touching stuff in other people's houses." He growled, overcome with anger at her for bringing back the emotions he had spent so long trying to bury. The sight of his long-abandoned dreams in her hands felt like a direct assault on the walls he had built around his past.

"It's not what -" She started, but he interrupted her again.

"This isn't your house, you're a guest," he continued, his voice raising with every word. "But what can I expect of you? You have no manners; you never did. Apni aukat mein raho. You're a guest, so act like one."

She blinked, seemingly taken aback by his ferocity. The fiery spirit she usually met him with was replaced by disbelief. Her mouth opened and closed, trying to find the words, but nothing came out.

He scooped up his belongings, each item another painful reminder of what once was. The room's dim light glistened on Meerab's moist eyes. In that fleeting moment, Murtasim felt a pang of regret for his words. But the sting of his own buried emotions, now unearthed, overwhelmed his better judgment. As he retreated, a heavy silence enveloped the room, with Meerab's shocked expression a testament to the depth of his outburst.

------------------------------------------------------------

The rich wooden door to Murtasim's room vibrated with a sudden knock that broke his chain of thoughts. Opening it, he was met with Maryam's livid gaze. Her brows furrowed, and her nostrils flared - the usual signs of her anger. "You yelled at Meerab?" She accused, her voice laced with a protective fury.

"Not now, Maryam," Murtasim sighed, leaning against the door frame. He was all too familiar with his sister's fondness for Meerab, and her penchant to jump to her defense, Maryam had fought him multiple times in defense of Meerab.

"You misunderstood! She didn't deserve that!" Maryam snapped back, her hands clenched into fists, her eyes sparkling with righteous anger.

He felt a deep pull in his chest, as though a weight had been dropped onto his lungs, making it hard to breathe. Murtasim paused, his hand frozen on the door handle, a chill of doubt running through him. "You took them out?" He asked tentatively, trying to piece the events together.

"We were looking for an old CD, and I found the camera. Maa saw it and wanted it thrown out, even after I told her it was yours so only you had the right to throw it out." Maryam divulged, her voice softer now, but with an unmistakable hint of bitterness.