2.4K 192 177

A/N: In part five (of eight) of our epilogue, we get to meet the twins for the first time, and indulge in all kinds of cuteness. I hope y'all like this chapter as much as I did - see you on the other side!

------------------------------------------- 

In the dimly lit ultrasound room, the air thick with anticipation, Murtasim's heart raced as he sat next to Meerab, her hand clasped firmly in his. 

He remembered this setting vividly—where they first heard Meesam's heartbeat and seen her. The memory was engraved in his heart, yet today's visit held a different kind of excitement.

They were both watching the screen intently, where the flutter of tiny heartbeats pulsed visibly. Each beat resembled delicate butterfly wings, fluttering rhythmically and gently in what seemed like a graceful dance.

As the room filled with the rhythmic sound of heartbeats, Murtasim leaned forward, his focus absolute. The sound was more complex this time, richer somehow. It wove a mesmerizing duet that hummed through the speakers, reaching deep into his soul. 

"There you have it, two strong heartbeats, congratulations, you are having twins," the technician announced, adjusting the monitor to give them a better view.

Twins.

Two of them.

Murtasim turned to Meerab, his eyes mirroring her astonishment. 

Her face filled with joy, her smile beaming as tears cascaded down her cheeks, mirroring his own emotional deluge.

"Twins." The word barely left her lips, a whisper louder than any shout could ever be.

They were going to have two more children.

The revelation hit Murtasim with the force of a storm yet filled him with warmth. 

As the technician adjusted the monitor, his mind flickered through memories of Meesam's early life—her first shaky steps, her small feet pattering against the floor, her laughter filling the house when she finally reached his open arms.

He remembered the awe in her eyes and the proud clapping of her hands when she first muttered "Mama" and "Baba," sounds that melted their hearts. 

Now, they were faced with the joyful promise of experiencing these milestones again, not just once, but twice over.

There would be two more sets of first steps, two more voices to first call out to them, two more little bodies to hug and hold close. The weight and wonder of that realization made his grip on Meerab's hand tighten instinctively.

As the technician busied herself with the controls, Murtasim found his voice, thick with emotion.

"Can we get pictures...and a video?" he managed to ask.

The ultrasound image of Meesam on his desk flashed through his mind, now, her siblings would join her – three little miracles.

Meesam, at three years old, loved to challenge the reality of the ultrasound image, playfully denying her miniature depiction. "Noooooo," she would exclaim with a toddler's assertive charm whenever he told her that it was her in the picture when she was inside her mother's stomach. It was a cute no, unlike like the loud "NOOOOOO" she screamed when Shahmeer called her Shahmeera.

"I love you," he whispered to Meerab, his thumb gently caressing away her tears.

"I love you too," she replied, her voice a soft melody that filled the spaces of his heart reserved only for her.